Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Oops!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 07/31/2012 : 7:10:37 PM
Oh, my, I was looking for a ball of yarn that was somewhere in my yarn room. I did find the yarn, but guess what else I found along the way:

Yarn for a sweater that I'd forgotten I'd already bought. I am currently knitting the same sweater with a second batch of EXACTLY the same yarn!

You know you have too much yarn when..... or is it:

You know you're getting old when......??

Both batches are the same color, but I don't yet know if they are the same dye lot. If they are, I may just frog and knit myself yet another Central Park Hoodie!

Surely someone else out there has done the same thing??

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
azblueskies Posted - 11/20/2012 : 07:26:40 AM
Because I've often bought duplicates, I finally sat down and made a yarn inventory and knitting book inventory and stored it in Google docs (and sync copies to the cloud) so it's always available on my phone. Now I have to make one for my needles. Would take more time that I could imagine to make a db of my magazines so I'm sure I'll continue to buy duplicates of those every now and then. I sync my pattern file to the cloud, too, so it's always available wherever I am.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Grand-moogi Posted - 11/20/2012 : 04:03:27 AM
Chris that is classic! At least you are a very reliable, consistent person.

I knit a hug into every stitch
chris Posted - 11/19/2012 : 1:23:24 PM
There was one magazine I wanted so much that I bought it three times, not just two!

While looking at knitting books at B&N, I was on the fence about buying one. I thumbed through it and found a pattern I really liked, but just that one. I have a tough time spending a lot of money for a book just for one pattern. I finally decided not to buy it, and headed home. When I got there, I found I had bought the book some time previously! There was a sticky note on the front: "Find a home for this book. Wasn't worth buying for only one pattern." The page number was on the note to self. I turned to it, and sure enough, the pattern I'd liked that day in the store.

Amazing how swiss cheesey our brains can be!!
hillstreetmama Posted - 11/18/2012 : 09:47:08 AM
I've bought books, magazines, patterns, CD's, etc. in duplicates. I have bought yarn in duplicates, but it was small quantities. I've given the same gift twice (hey, both times I knew the recipient would like it), and the same card. I've been known to find things in a bag stashed away that I bought for the "perfect gift" for my mother....a few years ago. I ordered a gift for my granddaughter's birthday, and decided it's too old for her, so I'm going to keep it for next year. Do you think I'll remember/find it when her birthday rolls around next November? The odds are not good.

Jan
phlame Posted - 11/17/2012 : 11:15:30 AM
This is a great thread....it makes me feel so much better about all the duplicate books, magazines and printed patterns I have. I'm doing OK on the yarn...well, maybe not.

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...I'm fairly certain that, given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

lucybug Posted - 11/16/2012 : 4:15:22 PM
This thread is hilarious! The way to look at duplicate purchases is that it's confirmation of how much you like it. I haven't bought duplicate yarn yet but have done that with books more times than I care to admit (partly the publishers' fault as they sometimes change the name and cover of books).

Thanks to all for a good laugh. I won't be surprised if I do it at some point and I'll know that I'm in good company.
donnawatk Posted - 11/16/2012 : 06:30:31 AM
I have bought the same pattern, books, yarn. I went to Vogue knitting in Chicago there was this shawl hanging. The yarn was great so I bought it. The vendor didnt have the pattern she told me the designer was Clara Parkes. I told a friend I knew the name. It turn out I had the book at home had made the shawl and had the yarn. It just made me think my taste for patterns and yarn remain the same. Donna PS When it came to me where I knew the name from I laugh.(Senior moment)
Ceil Posted - 11/15/2012 : 11:36:21 PM
Update: This is my birthday month, and the LYS gives a one-time 20% discount when that happens. So I found the same yarn >in another color< (thank you) and will start over. The double dose of yarn will be fine doubled to knit a Heather Hoodie Vest. And now that I know about blocking a gauge swatch, everything will turn out just fine.

Ceil
Lynne604 Posted - 11/15/2012 : 6:24:46 PM
When I organized my overflowing box of patterns printed from the internet, I realized I'd printed the same ones several times.
Grand-moogi Posted - 08/22/2012 : 10:33:29 PM
I have often bought the same magazine but I blame that on the publishers. They all look the same.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Ceil Posted - 08/22/2012 : 3:02:31 PM
This is funnier yet!

So I looked at the dye lot to the second batch of yarn, and then checked that against the dye lot of the first in my yarn studio. They are the same!!!

Well, I could knit another Central Park Hoodie, but I think instead I will use the first batch to knit the vest over again. I'll leave vest #1 intact so that I have it for reference just in case. Then I'll frog vest #1, soak and dry that yarn to remove the kinks. Then I'll knit a felted Moebius bag with the recycled yarn, which takes three skeins. So, out of eight skeins, I'll have only one left. (Maybe. I've found it VERY necessary to knit a pocket into any Moebius bag for my cell phone so I can find it when it rings.)

WHEW! Doing the happy dance here!

Ceil
jaymeKnits Posted - 08/13/2012 : 04:46:25 AM
Double amount of a yarn you must really like...sounds like a good problem to have :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
marjotse Posted - 08/13/2012 : 02:16:57 AM
I have bought books twice....but never yarn (yet.....)

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
Ceil Posted - 08/12/2012 : 10:05:19 PM
Whew, go ahead and make me feel good! Thanks, everyone!

Ceil
dschmidt Posted - 08/11/2012 : 5:37:57 PM
I too have many multiple copies of patterns and I even know I have a copy somewhere but can't find it.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Consuelo Posted - 08/04/2012 : 10:17:30 PM
You are too funny, Ceil. I've never done it with yarn but I have bought the same magazine twice - done it more than once, mind you.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
One Stitch at a Time Posted - 08/04/2012 : 5:34:55 PM
This is like a "True Confessions" of forgetfulness thread! I immediately remembered returning home from the KR Retreat and discovering that I had purchased the exact same yarn and in the same colors (from String Theory) that I had bought the year before!

My oldest son had a good laugh at my expense, as I bought the same birthday card for him 2 years in a row, having no recollection of buying it the first time. As a joke, I bought another one to give him again, but of course, as his next birthday approached I could'nt remember where I put it....

It's nice to remember those moments! I know there are many more....

Nanci
mjhealy Posted - 08/04/2012 : 4:24:40 PM
My mother would make light of all your problems, ladies! She is very nice and smart. She'd want you all to know that much worse things happen, so don't sweat the small stuff. When I confessed that I lost my mother-in-laws wedding band (inherited), she shrugged her shoulders and said it wasn't that pretty anyways. So if you need any consoling, for anything, I'm happy to pass along her phone number.

And I too buy knitting duplicates....usually needles.
Luann Posted - 08/04/2012 : 09:38:19 AM
I was so pleased with myself for scoring a new fall jacket for Little Luann on sale, in his favorite color and in the next size up so he can wear it for more than a couple of weeks. When I went to hang it with his other out of season clothes, I found its twin. I don't remember buying it, must have been months ago during the last big sale.

Having my yarn stash on Ravelry has greatly decreased (though not eliminated) my duplicate yarn purchases, but I haven't been able to keep up with patterns, and end up, like Donna, with lots of extras.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
ikkivan Posted - 08/03/2012 : 3:28:40 PM
How funny, Ceil, and one of those "that could be me" stories (but not yet, or so I think). I have printed patterns more than once that I downloaded from the Internet and have stored on my computer; I try to keep them filed in a cabinet in folders, but I'm afraid I have so many that I can't keep up ... did I print that one before or did I just INTEND to print it? Some of my filing overlaps, i.e., same baby hat pattern found in two places, "Hats" and "Baby." Sigh.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe