Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sweater Talk
 A sweater for my granddog

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 11/30/2012 : 11:19:53 AM
It's a French bulldog.

I took measurements, so I could conceivably design something based on those alonside the book "Knitting in the Old Way". I'm thinking of knitting a "backwards" cardigan so that the dog can step into the sweater and then have it buttoned up down its back.

But what to do at the shoulder seams? I suspect there won't be much of anything there.

Or is there a resource out there that might help? Seems to me dogs have a different skeletal shaping than humans.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ceil Posted - 12/03/2012 : 5:40:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nanaknit

[http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wurstwarmer]

Short rows! What a great idea! BUT...

I went over to Ravelry and found a pattern that's being tested that's knitted flat. This would make for an easier fit, and it buttons on one side and at the neck. Because I'm using cottom yarn (Tahki Cotton Classic Lite), I've decided to knit it sideways so there will be less stretch and sag to contend with. (This dog has short legs.)

Ceil
Grand-moogi Posted - 12/03/2012 : 12:32:23 PM
Oh Ceil, I went to bed with visions of someone walking a dog and the dog stops at a tree and the owner has to bend down and undo the zip. I thought "Margaret give up, shut up and go to bed"

I knit a hug into every stitch
Ceil Posted - 12/01/2012 : 11:07:07 PM
I'm staying above the bum. Only two holes needed for arms!

Ceil
Nanaknit Posted - 12/01/2012 : 2:58:27 PM
Ceil, there is a pattern on Ravelry [http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wurstwarmer]that was designed for dachshunds, who have broad chests. I have made one for my dachshund and a modified one for my boxer mix, who has a deep chest. If I remember correctly, bulldogs are wide in the chest as well. You might take a look at it and see if you can adapt it to your grand dog.

Linda

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Grand-moogi Posted - 12/01/2012 : 07:07:17 AM
Think of it as a long tube which starts at the neck and goes down toward the bum. Then there are going to be four holes where you insert sleeves . Hmmmmm maybe not. You will not knit over the "pants area" will you? You would need a little zip.
Oh No! I'm going to bed. I am much too tired.
Good luck.

I knit a hug into every stitch

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe