Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Happy Feet sock yarn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SHARON WILLIAMSON Posted - 12/18/2012 : 1:26:06 PM
I just finished a sock with Plymouth Happy Feet sock yarn purchased at my LYS. Love the colors, liked working with it, however, after washing and drying I tried it on and walked around a while and it hurts the bottom of my foot! Used a #2 needle which is what the yarn called for. Has anyone else used this yarn and had this problem? These were supposed to be a Christmas gift and now I'm fearful of giving them to anyone.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gginastoria Posted - 02/25/2013 : 6:32:04 PM
I knit socks for my daughter who is allergic to wool. Acrylic yarn unless it is very fine and knit on 0 or 1 needles irritates the soles of her feet (I call them princess feet) so I have knit the sole in purl sts. to eliminate the bumps.
Patience Posted - 01/03/2013 : 10:18:28 AM
Funny you should say that your socks hurt the bottom of your feet......I knit a pair awhile back and wore them with a comfortable clog type shoe and before the end of the day, the bottom of my feet were sore from the socks too!

I'll have to check which yarn I used for these socks but this is the first time it's ever happened to me and I've knit a fair number of socks. I usually use size 2 or 3 needles and knit on the tight side so I don't know why this happened with this particular yarn (which I'm going to check on and see which brand it was). I didn't realize that if one knits socks on too large a needle the sock may well hurt your feet.....there's something new to learn everyday.

Regards, Patience

SHARON WILLIAMSON Posted - 12/21/2012 : 8:57:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm sure you're right about the needle size. I made a pair with some super cheap sock yarn on #1's and they feel fine. The person I'm giving these to goes barefoot all the time in the summer so hopefully her soles are tough! :)
KimberKnit Posted - 12/19/2012 : 06:12:17 AM
I agree with Ceil that your experience is likely from stitches that are too big. I've used Happy Feet several times and don't have any problem with it. It's actually one of my favorite sock yarns. The only socks that feel a bit uncomfortable on the bottom of my feet are some of the first ones I knitted (not with Happy Feet though) when I didn't really appreciate gauge issues for socks. Now I usually go down 2 needles sizes for socks (loose knitter here).

Kim
anderknit Posted - 12/18/2012 : 3:21:12 PM
Other knitters think I'm nuts, but I like my socks very tightly knit. Yes, it means they may be a bit harder to get over my heel, but I like them that way. I always go down a needle size or two for socks.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Ceil Posted - 12/18/2012 : 1:46:25 PM
I don't know anything about this yarn, but if it's of the usual sock-weight girth, it may be that they hurt your feet because the stitches are too big! IF that's the case, they will probably wear out quickly.

If you have some yarn left, try swatching it on US 1 to see what happens. For me as a Combination knitter (LH carry), the yarn usually tells me when a needle size is too small, because I struggle to knit the yarn. If you don't experience this, then US1 may be a better needle choice.

Btw, some time ago in KR we talked about sock yarn gauge. At that time, someone responded by saying that the gauge on the label is >often< (not always) a good gauge for >sweaters<! I usually find myself going down at least one needle size to knit a pair of socks. HTH!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe