Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Willow Yarns??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 01/08/2013 : 1:00:32 PM
I received a catalog today introducing "Willow yarns," address in Stevens Point, WI. Some of the yarns sound nice and the prices are very low ... all say imported, but I can't find from what country. I'm guessing China because of the low prices, but I do know many yarns come from Turkey, Peru, Italy (not this cheap, though, from Italy, I don't think). Does anyone know anything about this company and the origin of its yarns? And I think I've read that most machine-washable wools are treated in China to make them superwash, even though they may be spun into yarn elsewhere.

I'd appreciate any additional information anyone may have.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kbshee Posted - 10/04/2013 : 1:22:12 PM
Willow yarns was featured in the center of a recent Herschnerr's catalogue that I received.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
ikkivan Posted - 10/04/2013 : 11:09:12 AM
I placed an order for 2 of the Willow yarns to try, Aura and Burrow ... good prices, plus free shipping offer on order total of $50 or more (as for KnitPicks). Order arrived today in very good time, I thought, and both yarns were made in Turkey, which (IMO) is somewhat preferable to China. The yarns both look quite nice; knitting up and use will tell.

Even though the yarns in the catalog look really intriguing, I probably would not have ordered if not for the free shipping offer (I already knew that Herrschner's has exhorbitant shipping fees). I have learned that if I shop around and compare and wait, I can usually find free (or at least LOW flat-rate) shipping AND low prices both at the same company.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Clara Posted - 04/17/2013 : 1:56:05 PM
Wow. Can you imagine if your LYS outsourced their customer service like that? Pretty interesting.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
ErinCO25 Posted - 04/17/2013 : 1:02:47 PM
I also got a catalog from Willow for the first time this year, and ended up placing an order. My impressions so far:

PROs:

- I love their catalog. The way they show yarn colors by wrapping them around everyday items is like art. Very cool.
- Love the yarn I ordered, which is called Guppy. Very soft and the striping is beautiful.
- Really like the Kid's Henley pattern that I bought; it's worked up well, with some exceptions noted below

CONs:

- Shipping is expensive!! They price shipping based on order total. When I added two patterns to my order, it increased shipping by something like $3 - for two pieces of paper. Overall I paid around $12 for standard shipping of a couple of patterns, a pack of stitch markers, and three balls of yarn. Not a heavy package by any means!
- Customer service leaves something to be desired. I found some errors in the pattern I'm working with. Couldn't find anything on Ravelry or the web, so I called their customer service. First, it took 4 days for someone to reply to me. Then when she finally did, the woman who called was very abrupt and not quite polite. She had very little interest in actually helping me. The administrator on their Facebook page was a little better when I posted there.

They do have a loyalty club, but it seems like you'd have to order quite a bit of yarn to make back the annual fee. They only offer ONE free shipping order with the membership.

Overall, good products if you can afford the shipping. I might order from them again.

-Erin, Denver CO
dothead Posted - 01/09/2013 : 08:39:25 AM
I just checked both websites and not only are both in Stevens Point, WI, they both have the same street address so I am sure that Willow Yarns is a subsidiary of Herrschners.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
ikkivan Posted - 01/09/2013 : 07:56:04 AM
Well, I called this morning to ask; first called the order number, and she didn't know, so she put me through to customer service, and SHE didn't know, either. She said she had been asked that question a lot, but was in a call center for online service and didn't have access to the yarn (I asked her to please just look at a label and tell me what it said). I suggested (nicely!) that if she was being asked that question, perhaps there should be a list or some of the yarn labels or something at hand to which to refer.

She did say it is possible that different yarns come from different places, which I already figured. Sigh. Guess I'll just have to order some.

dothead Posted - 01/09/2013 : 06:17:51 AM
I got my catalog yesterday and wondered the same thing. I may order something to check them out.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
jtamsn Posted - 01/08/2013 : 6:04:00 PM
I found it interesting that when I received my catalog yesterday, I also got one from Herrschners also in Stevens Point WI. Is this a new venture of Herrschners? Maybe their own line? just wondering.
judy

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe