Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Liturgical / Ecclesiastical / Church Lace patterns

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
amazing grace Posted - 01/17/2013 : 12:07:40 PM
Greetings,

I am in the process of become an ordained pastor and contemplating making an alb (white robe for leading worship in a Christian church.) I would like to knit some lace lace for the sleeves and around the bottom of the robe.

Does anyone know of a source for Christian motifs for lace knitting?

Many thanks,
Grace
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yarnlover Posted - 01/25/2013 : 12:20:50 PM
Here is a link to a site that has knitted swatches of many of Barbara Walker stitch patterns. You may find what you are looking for here, and then know which book has the stitch pattern in it.

http://thewalkertreasury.wordpress.com/

See My Stuff: Here

Ditzy Girl Posted - 01/25/2013 : 08:19:18 AM
Grace you might ck on line and get a used copy of
Barbara Walker for a little less money. Go See if you
can ck out the books from your local library and if you
can find what you want.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

amazing grace Posted - 01/25/2013 : 07:47:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Ordination is several years in the future.

I looked on Ravelry and did not immediately find anything that leaped out and said "I'm the one!" However, I did not have much time so need to return to my search.

I have been thinking about purchasing Barbara Walker's dictionaries for awhile. Since I don't design my own projects, I hadn't been motivated to spend the dollars yet. However, I like the idea of designing my own lace so will have to track down a copy. The grapevine motif is particularly attractive to me, so it helps to know she includes that in her book.

Grace
flicka Posted - 01/17/2013 : 7:28:43 PM
Congratulations on your future ordination. What an interesting question! This sounds like something PieceWork magazine would have featured. I don't have a subscription, and don't know how to access their archives, but maybe you have the persistence to try.

Otherwise, the Barbara Walker guides have many lace patterns with semi-religious names and themes. (I'm referring to her "Treasury of Knitting Patterns", of which I have the first and second.) There are"vineyard", "grapevine", "candleflame", even a "cathedral" pattern, for example. I think you could easily choose a theme that has personal meaning for you and dedicate your time and talent to that.

Do keep us posted on your decision, and your progress!

flicka

ikkivan Posted - 01/17/2013 : 4:03:35 PM
Grace, did you check on Ravelry? There are quite a few knitted lace edgings to be found, but you'd just have to look at them. I'm sure you could incorporate some crosses pretty easily in some of them, or other possibilities.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe