Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Yarn Bowls

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Daylily Posted - 02/28/2013 : 2:57:34 PM
How many of you use yarn bowls to hold your ball of yarn when knitting? My hubby helped me. It used to contain biscotti. he cut the O out of the word on the lid and I used nail board to smooth the edges so the yarn wouldd not get caught on it

Daylily, another one tomorrow
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lucybug Posted - 04/16/2013 : 08:00:15 AM
I use my pottery yarn bowl at home but for knitting in the car I use a ziplock bag now (thanks for the idea!!). Keeps the yarn clean as it's still snowing here and the floor mats are usually wet and muddy.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
gcelee Posted - 04/15/2013 : 3:51:10 PM
I'm also a ceramic yarn bowl fan - mine is from The Loopy Ewe, an online shop. I also have a wonderful wooden piece that holds center pulls cakes and spins when pulled. This works beautifully and is a good looking piece. At from TLE. I'd love a wooden yarn bowl a little deeper than mine is, with both the open-ended place to feed yarn and the enclosed hole. I also like Chia's one skein piece - it's pretty and keeps the yarn clean while on the go. I used plastic bags for years and finally decided I wanted something prettier, so over the years I've added a few pieces that I also enjoy looking at.

Carol
Knitting is cheaper than therapy and more effective. I enjoy it more and it's good for my blood pressure. What more could you want?
azblueskies Posted - 04/15/2013 : 07:18:45 AM
I like the CD caddy idea and will try it. I use a plastic container that formerly held almonds. Cut a slit in the lid and it works great.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Ruby Plaid Posted - 04/12/2013 : 4:18:45 PM
I use a pottery yarn bowl I bought on Etsy. I really do find it helpful when I need to keep the yarn ball in check, and it's a beautiful decorative piece when i'm not using it.

My knitting & crafts blog is here: http://www.spindyeknitlove.wordpress.com
Nanaknit Posted - 03/24/2013 : 08:46:16 AM
I have a beautiful one of a kind yarn bowl from islandia_designs on ebay. When not holding yarn, it sits on my coffee table. I don't use it all the time, but often.

Linda

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Nelliebean Posted - 03/23/2013 : 10:11:46 AM
I have a beautiful yarn bowl that has a swirl of stripes around it. I love the look of handthrown pottery. Knitting is my passion and I decided to treat myself to something unique and special while at the recent Stitches West event in Santa Clara. I use it all the time while knitting on the couch.
Grand-moogi Posted - 03/22/2013 : 11:37:48 AM
I did not even know there were such things as yarn bowls. I have on occasion put my balls of wool (sorry, yarn) into a mixing bowl but that is an open bowl, not closed in with a hole for the yarn.
I learn something new every time I visit this forum.

I knit a hug into every stitch
ikkivan Posted - 03/15/2013 : 1:07:45 PM
As does CatherineS, I use lots of Ziploc bags, usually quart size, but I cut off a bottom corner through which to thread the yarn. Extremely lightweight, totally portable, cheap, keeps the yarn clean and visible.

I also have a "yarntainer" I made years ago from a 2-litre soda bottle ... I cut off the solid-color bottom to make it two-piece, then the clear top part is pushed down into the bottom. Take it apart, put in a skein of yarn, thread the yarn up through the top hole and push the two pieces back together. I don't ever buy soda pop anymore so don't even know if the plastic bottles are still like that.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Southern Gal Posted - 03/15/2013 : 07:41:13 AM
Great ideas here. and now i have an idea as to what to do with my lavazza coffee tins ... once they are washed and aired out and spraypainted - the perfect size for a yarn holder!
cindyh1057 Posted - 03/14/2013 : 8:41:07 PM
I saw a cute idea on pinterest for a yarn bowl. Someone used an old teapot and ran the yarn through the spout! Secondhand stores have all kinds of teapots. Cindyh
kare Posted - 03/14/2013 : 5:38:46 PM
I have a nice large one that my husband got me for Christmas. It's from Cloud's Pottery in town and has many different size holes, so it adapts to many sizes of yarn. When I'm not using it, it sets on my end table and is a beautiful decoration.
linda03824 Posted - 03/14/2013 : 4:22:23 PM
I purchased my yarn bowl in Vermont.However, it is used upside down and looks like a bee skep with the hole on the top for dispensing the yarn. I keep it on a plate so my yarn stays clean even though it is on the floor for easy access (and looks great).If the yarn is fed through the hole on the top I am tied to that one location as I don't consider this thrown-pot portable. My husband drilled a hole on the lip of the bowl, I sanded it very smooth, and now I have it all--except for enough time!
lasolue13 Posted - 03/14/2013 : 09:57:10 AM
I recently saw an inventive DIY yarn storage: if the yarn is wound into a centre-pull ball with a wool winder, simply stick it onto one of those CD/DVD spindles. On the cover, cut out the centre hole and smooth the edges. Voilą: your perfect, easy access yarn bowl. You can even use your scrap booking skills to make the outside cover look nicer.

Just pour me my tea, hand me my knitting, and slowly back away....(winemakerssister)
robinstephanie Posted - 03/14/2013 : 08:42:36 AM
quote:
I am quite fortunate in that my dear husband is an incredible woodworker/craftsman. I have several yarn bowls of varying sizes, shapes...absolutely beautiful and a dream to knit with!

They do sound beautiful, Harper.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
CatherineS Posted - 03/14/2013 : 08:34:25 AM
I use a large ziploc bag that I keep in my knitting caddy. Certainly not as attractive as a yarn bowl, but it holds even large skeins and keeps the yarn clean, I can open and close the top of it as much as needed, and I can easily stick it in my tote to take along with my knitting project.
harperbardknits Posted - 03/14/2013 : 08:05:21 AM
I am quite fortunate in that my dear husband is an incredible woodworker/craftsman. I have several yarn bowls of varying sizes, shapes...absolutely beautiful and a dream to knit with! HE also builds lovely folk harp on which I play professionally as a Music Practitioner. Now - if I could just do away with all the 'day jobs' I could play and knit with these lovingly crafted items!!! Ah well, we enjoy when we can and are grateful for those blissful times! BTW knitters: if any of you would like to order one of David's gorgeous yarn bowls, i'm happy to send you photos. You can contact us @ harplovers@yahoo.com for further inquiries!

Cheers and happy knitting today!

harper

harper
jlpanecki Posted - 03/14/2013 : 07:38:07 AM
I had a very vintage leather one - it was ideal for small balls of yarn, but not so great for bulky yarn. I used it to keep the yarn clean and nearby. Eventually the little grommet on the lid was lost, and the leather was too rough to let the yarn flow smoothly. All of the leather had gotten dry over the years, but I kept it for storing stitch holders and a few safety pins and my stitch markers. Just before we moved last year, something got spilled on it, so it was thrown away.

I now use my small yarn bag with a fabric loop inside, the wooden handles hold the yarn ball safely inside, and away from inquiring cats!

Janet
sockjoan Posted - 03/14/2013 : 12:39:01 AM
If I'm knitting from the outside of the ball, I put it in a 1kg plastic honey tub. This has a flexible plastic snap-on lid, out of which I have cut an arc to allow the yarn to feed through it with the lid shut. Works a treat!
ikkivan Posted - 03/09/2013 : 2:19:33 PM
While my grandddaughter was taking a pottery class in college, I sent her photos of pottery yarn bowls and bells ... HINT, HINT ... but by the time she saw them, she was through with the class, so I still don't have one. Sigh. And after all those socks I made her, too!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
emmyc Posted - 03/08/2013 : 05:51:30 AM
I've just been ogling the collection at blue moon pottery. Now i really want one!

emmyc
winchester ma

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe