Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 The chicken or the egg?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
emmyc Posted - 05/22/2013 : 04:29:56 AM
For most of my knitting life, my knitting choices have been pattern first, then yarn. Recently, I've been going the other way; I have the yarn, now I have to find the perfect pattern. Case in point, it was very important to find the perfect pattern for Lot 1 of the Great White Bale. Thank you Dawn Cantanzaro for Kennebec! I'm starting to really like "yarn first" method.

So I was wondering how do others approach their project choices?

emmyc
winchester ma
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 08/19/2013 : 2:33:19 PM
I think my "which comes first" answer will have to be that it's a little (a lot?) of each ... however, now that I'm learning to spindle, I can see that I'm going to have more yarn with no pattern in mind for it. I love to handle the fiber just for no other reason than handling and spinning the fiber, and I'm experimenting with a number of different types.

And about the freezer comments/questions ... I remember keeping an angora sweater in the freezer to decrease the shedding. Not sure exactly why it worked, but it did help.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Jane Posted - 08/18/2013 : 07:45:30 AM
Bring your interchangeable needles if you have them—you can always cast on a hat with yarn from the Stash Lounge, like Luann does!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Shelia Posted - 08/18/2013 : 06:32:58 AM
Save a little knitting time for any homework you might have for your classes!

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
robinstephanie Posted - 08/17/2013 : 11:37:00 AM
quote:
Well, I hope to bring it to the retreat. Let me say my son has great taste in designers(Elizabeth Zimmerman) and the most egregious thoughts about Color. Really, my whole LYS knows about it.

Better and better. [[cackling]]

The retreat will be a good test of my knitting packing skills. I'll need something interesting for the plane, something easy for knitting whilst chatting, maybe some easy swatches for knitting late at night when tired...

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Jane Posted - 08/17/2013 : 04:56:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by emmyc

Jane, I did finish and block my alpaca shawl and am enjoying my vacation on the cape knitting "tilt" on the beach with Chris' beautiful sea pearl.

next is finishing for my son the world's ugliest blanket for my son...

Oh, I love Tilt. I can't wait to see everything!!!

Jane

emmyc Posted - 08/16/2013 : 7:10:12 PM
Well, I hope to bring it to the retreat. Let me say my son has great taste in designers(Elizabeth Zimmerman) and the most egregious thoughts about Color. Really, my whole LYS knows about it.

emmyc
winchester ma
robinstephanie Posted - 08/16/2013 : 3:36:37 PM
I wouldn't mind a gander at the World's Ugliest Blanket, either. The name, it just intrigues...

Robinsteph

emmyc Posted - 08/16/2013 : 09:08:51 AM
Jane, I did finish and block my alpaca shawl and am enjoying my vacation on the cape knitting "tilt" on the beach with Chris' beautiful sea pearl.

next is finishing for my son the world's ugliest blanket for my son...

emmyc
winchester ma
NutmegOwl Posted - 08/04/2013 : 9:18:33 PM
It just depends on what inspires me on a given day. The marriage of pattern and project is critical, so such decisions are never made lightly. When I was a new knitter, I always bought yarn with a project in mind; now that I understand fiber and dyeing, I appreciate yarn for itself and what it can be. A yarn in my stash may want to become something more complex than I can handle at a particular moment, or I may spend three days surfing my own pattern library and ravelry to find just the right thing for that one yarn I MUST put on the needles immediately. Sometimes eggs, sometimes chickens.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
ozknitter Posted - 06/25/2013 : 07:22:07 AM
Hi,

Usually I see a pattern to die for in a magazine, unless I go to a wool shop with the thought in mind on starting a new project.

Anyway back to the magazine, I usually find a pattern in one, then go to the wool shop and buy the wool, if I can't find the wool I need, I'll either try and substitute or send away for the right stuff.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose
emmyc Posted - 06/10/2013 : 03:34:42 AM
I figure that as long as I haven't wound the hanks into skeins, there is a hope that I will not succomb. But those hanks are just staring at me and sayinng "Wind me! Wind me! BTW one third thorugh the shawl now and two long flights coming up...

emmyc
winchester ma
dschmidt Posted - 06/09/2013 : 1:17:46 PM
Lately it's been dig into the stash, find yarn, and then find a pattern.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Jane Posted - 06/08/2013 : 2:05:30 PM
And just who will come to your house and force you to finish the alpaca shawl? Hmmm?

Jane

emmyc Posted - 06/08/2013 : 06:33:52 AM
Well, things are getting more complicated. In wool people 5 there is a pattern, Tilt, that just screamed to be knitted in the Briarrose sea pearl in my very small stash. But alas, I did not have enough so I started the alpaca shawl.

Then I went and purchased 1600 yards of another sea pearl, which arrived yesterday.

Here is the dilemma, I have a general rule of only one project at a time

emmyc
winchester ma
maak Posted - 06/06/2013 : 1:35:35 PM
I almost always pick yarn first, then the person who will receive it, then the pattern. It's nice to have the yarn in my stash first so I can touch it and see the actual color. I wish I could keep yarn in the freezer so I wouldn't have to worry about it! I guess I should feel lucky I have a full freezer in this economy.
lella Posted - 06/06/2013 : 07:32:07 AM
I always keep yarns in the freezer, when I can. It's the perfect place. But now I have so much yarn that the small chest freezer is full. I used to start with the pattern, but then, having lived through the great yarn drought of the late 80's, early 90's, I started stashing.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
robinstephanie Posted - 06/02/2013 : 10:18:12 AM
That's an elegant wrap, EmmyC. I checked it out on Rav and put it in my favorites. I just loved the texture of it. It's gonna be gorgeous in DK Alpaca.

Robinsteph

emmyc Posted - 06/01/2013 : 06:31:11 AM
Yes indeed. I've chosen an older pattern from vogue knitting shawls and wraps called "bobble trim wrap" although I am skipping the bobbles. I may do them after the fact (or maybe not!).

I was absurdly pleased with my lot 1 kennebec. So much that I'm just leaving it draped on my living room sofa like a throw. Even my DH touches
it when he walks by.

emmyc
winchester ma
robinstephanie Posted - 05/30/2013 : 08:35:51 AM
Flicka and Donna, re: freezer: http://knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/040108_a.asp

Shalee: http://www.darkgarden.com/

EmmyC: Any decisions yet?

Robinsteph

Ditzy Girl Posted - 05/30/2013 : 07:02:38 AM
donna, if it is wool to keep the moths out.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe