Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Patterns for plus size ladies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stewart58 Posted - 07/29/2013 : 05:38:35 AM
Am thinking of knitting a garment for my ex for Christmas, does anyone have any patterns, or suggestions. I am based in Australia, so if possible can the pattern include metric measurements.
Thanking you in advance. Stewart

sroberts
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Schaeferyarnlover Posted - 08/01/2013 : 05:58:24 AM
Amy Herzog Designs. She has a book and is on Ravelry too. There are a couple of free patterns on www.knitty.com. She knows how to design sweaters that flatter all shapes. I am hoping her book comes out as an e-book, if not will be buying the hard copy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1617690171/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1617690171&linkCode=as2&tag=stasknitrepe-20
Kade1301 Posted - 08/01/2013 : 04:28:45 AM
There's two justly famous books for plus-sized ladies: Big Girl Knits and More Big Girl Knits

The great thing about the book is that it is not only a pattern book, but also explains what looks good on whom. I don't remember whether measurements are translated into metric, however...

Happy knitting, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
robinstephanie Posted - 07/31/2013 : 08:45:33 AM
Hi Stewart58--

I echo what Donna said about Ravelry; www.ravelry.com. You have to join to use the database, but it's free, and very knit-community oriented--you won't get a bunch of spam from Ravelry, in other words.

To get to the advanced pattern search, click on "Patterns" at top, and then "pattern browser & advanced search". You can drill down pretty tightly with the search function; you can search sweater patterns only, type of sweater pattern, construction methods (Fair Isle, intarsia, etc.) yarn size, needle size, fiber type. I'm not sure how to get the search function to return metric patterns though. Anybody else here know?

Edited to add: Under the Gender/Age/Size/Fit tab, click "fit" and then "plus fit". Who knew? I just discovered this. Very cool to know.

It's hard to tell what sweaters will suit a plus-size person, but once you drill down to a handful of patterns that you like, you can look at people's finished items and see what they look like on different body types. I always find THAT function super helpful.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
NastiJ Posted - 07/30/2013 : 1:06:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stewart58

Am thinking of knitting a garment for my ex for Christmas

That's one way of avoiding the knitter's curse!!
http://youtu.be/DiUcx3ZHpUs

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
donnawatk Posted - 07/29/2013 : 06:31:06 AM
Hi Stewart5, Check out Raverly, There you can find all kinds of patterns. Donna

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe