Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 A quick word about this section

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 04/12/2007 : 10:26:28 AM
Hi all,

The Random Knitting-Related Stuff section is intended for topics for which you can't find a home under the current forum structure. I realize this is a huge place, and that it's not immediately easy to fully fathom. Therefore I quite frequently come through this section and move topics to more appropriate areas.

This is not a mean-spirited move, nobody's getting their hand slapped, it's simply about putting content where it makes most sense. So if your post gets moved, please don't take it personally, and please understand that my intent is to keep this Random Knitting-Related Stuff section from becoming an endless dumping ground. Your post is not being intentionally relegated to the Gulag where nobody will see it. People read, fear not.

Thanks!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Punky Posted - 08/01/2013 : 06:17:22 AM
Trying to reply to From Paris with love.
I took an Independent Paris trip with Road Scholar,and went to yarn shops. I had a wonderful experience at La Droguerie buying their recycled French yarn. The owners were wonderful and the buttons fabulous.
I like to come back from my trips with yarn that is different than what I can collect in the US. Punky

Laura May Fleck
minh Posted - 04/30/2013 : 3:04:53 PM
Hi Miriam,

how about you use an arm warmer pattern like this?
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEw12/KSPATTwanderlust.php

You could add buttonholes or velcro so that it is easy to put the cover on/off the cast.
Mshark Posted - 04/30/2013 : 2:33:58 PM
Hi all -- my little nephew just broke his wrist and wants a red and black striped cover for his cast. The red and black striped part I can figure out. Anybody have any pattern guidance? Thanks in advance!

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Irish Red Posted - 04/12/2012 : 09:11:10 AM
I love the mental picture of Clara in her knitted cape as our superhero, booglass. It is so apt. You do an amazing job, Clara, and it is a wonder you can get it all done and still knit, review yarns, books, patterns....oh my goodness!

The Industrious Bee
Ditzy Girl Posted - 11/12/2010 : 2:41:12 PM
Put some lavender sachet in with them.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

MFITZ@VAFB.COM Posted - 11/12/2010 : 09:23:54 AM
HI CLARA AND ALL- I HAVE A PROBLEM- MY DAUGHTER'S SWEATERS ARE GETTING HUGE HOLES IN THEM EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE PACKED IN SEALED PLASTIC. WHAT DO YOU USE TO KEEP FROM GETTING MOTH HOLES? THANKS
frodosmom Posted - 01/09/2009 : 3:51:23 PM
This thread is turning out to be a tribute to our Queen Bee, Clara, and long may she reign.
I can't resist adding my word of appreciation for her untiring effort to keep a wonderful forum running smoothly.
luvcelticknits Posted - 06/03/2008 : 09:34:37 AM
SaraSue,
Thanks. I think I will delete that now.
kdcrowley Posted - 06/03/2008 : 09:17:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bullmonty

Cluey chick?

http://designsbyhuileng.blogspot.com

How about Queen Bee?

Kelley
Check out my solar-dyed yarns at http://www.ceallachdyes.com
and my blog at http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Sara Sue Posted - 06/03/2008 : 08:32:50 AM
luv

I did a search on all those names and nothing came up. I would delete it if I were you.

luvcelticknits Posted - 06/03/2008 : 07:47:58 AM
Clara,
I went into my e-mail this morning and I found something in my
Junk folder. It was from wilfred_1985@yahoo.ca and said it was "Sent from Knitter's Review Forums by boga111"
I did not open this junk e-mail. What do you think?
RoseByAny Posted - 03/16/2008 : 5:08:18 PM
None of the stickies here show up with Active Topics (unless they are, in fact, active)

Another forum I'm on has the stickies show up no matter what, and not only is it a pain to scroll past them all the time, but folks get so used to scrolling past them all the time that posting something new in them is useless, because people scroll past automatically without even noticing the color change in the topic label (I've done it myself).

"The web of our life is a Mingled Yarn, good and ill together."
All's Well That Ends Well, IV, iii
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Atavistic Posted - 03/16/2008 : 5:00:08 PM
Why would it need to be unless something had been said on it? (I know my ESL forum doesn't display stickies on active topics. Ravelry does and it's rather annoying, because some groups have lots of stickies and you never see what's NEW.)

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Unwound Posted - 03/16/2008 : 4:55:25 PM
that's interesting that it doesn't identify itself as a sticky if you just use the active topics feature.
Atavistic Posted - 03/16/2008 : 05:09:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Unwound

Is it possible to make this post a sticky? I've seen that feature on other forums where posts can be permanently kept as the first thread underneath the topic header.

It is.
http://knittersreview.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=63

Hand and foot when harmonized forms martialism/but Military and literary when harmonized is art and this brings/philosophy. (Lee, Chang Hoo)
Unwound Posted - 03/16/2008 : 05:06:35 AM
Is it possible to make this post a sticky? I've seen that feature on other forums where posts can be permanently kept as the first thread underneath the topic header.
Mickey Posted - 03/13/2008 : 6:10:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by markiesnana
I noticed that when I opened my wash machine....it had a decided "farm" smell. I can only imagine that the hot water did that.....is this normal?

Ok,this is definitely in the wrong section , but since we're here... Your "farm smell" is probably the lanolin, normal and typical for "rustic" type wool. Some people like it, myself included. It's usually much more pronounced when the wool is wet. Hence the term "this smells like wet wool".
But if it really bothers you, here are some suggestions how to get rid of it.
RoseByAny Posted - 03/13/2008 : 4:53:39 PM
Hi, Markiesnana.

I think you'll be more successful finding an answer if you begin a new post in the appropriate section. Perhaps in the section devoted to "Yarn Talk".

Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by Clara

The Random Knitting-Related Stuff section is intended for topics for which you can't find a home under the current forum structure. I realize this is a huge place, and that it's not immediately easy to fully fathom. Therefore I quite frequently come through this section and move topics to more appropriate areas.

This is not a mean-spirited move, nobody's getting their hand slapped, it's simply about putting content where it makes most sense. So if your post gets moved, please don't take it personally, and please understand that my intent is to keep this Random Knitting-Related Stuff section from becoming an endless dumping ground. Your post is not being intentionally relegated to the Gulag where nobody will see it. People read, fear not.

markiesnana Posted - 03/13/2008 : 4:09:43 PM
Hello Clara and readers;
I REALLY need an answer about working with wool. I recently completed a cat bed for my grandcat, and I crocheted it out of Paton's Merion wool. This was my first wool project. The skeins of yarn looked and smelled clean and soft. When trying to felt the project, I noticed that when I opened my wash machine....it had a decided "farm" smell. I can only imagine that the hot water did that.....is this normal? The cat bed is still damp and is drying with bath towels to block the shape (came out perfect); but I am hoping that it won't have that farm/barn smell when it is dry.
I sure hope someone knows about this! I don't know if I would ever use wool again after this experience!
Also, I didn't want to do anything to the fabric that would send the cat in the other direction.
JaniceV Posted - 06/28/2007 : 5:17:42 PM
Am always greatful for Clara's help here.

"Life is not counted by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times your breath is taken away"

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe