Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 My niece

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
robinstephanie Posted - 08/03/2013 : 11:34:47 AM
I taught her to knit last Thanksgiving, and she loves it. First project was a garter stitch scarf. Then cabled scarf, then lace scarf, then simple alpaca hat to warm up for the next project: socks. She's in town this weekend and we just bought yarn for her first socks! Sock clinic at my house this weekend! I thought *I* learned fast.

We spent hours knitting together yesterday. It was wonderful. See a where's waldo of unfinished/finished knitted projects, patterns, fabrics, balls of yarn, and oh yeah my niece, at:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/robinstephanie/woven-square

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eldergirl Posted - 08/16/2013 : 01:12:33 AM
I was rereading your lovely story Robinstephanie, and I remembered that I taught my grandson to knit when he was 5 or 6. He didn't fly with it, although he learned well, and somewhere in his home there is a 2" wide, 10" long strip of garter stitch (almost a scarf for his Teddy), attached to a ball of yarn, and my favorite knitting needles.

This memory had gotten submerged with the difficulties of the past few years, and I am so glad for it!

I love your story, and thank you for telling it!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
lella Posted - 08/15/2013 : 3:08:20 PM
It is so lovely to teach anyone to knit, but especially the young ones. Luann and Robinsteph, how wonderful that you have little nieces to knit with, too. Lovely stories. Three of my girls knit and one crochets. DH tried it a few years ago but after a manly struggle, declared it, "too hard to learn at my age."

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
robinstephanie Posted - 08/15/2013 : 08:47:06 AM
Mwah, Luann, that is the sweetest story. I love how the point for her was to do something fun and hang out with you. Not so concerned about a finished item. I hope you get to teach her some new knitting tricks. SO cool.

Robinsteph

Jane Posted - 08/14/2013 : 10:33:02 AM
Luann, I have been thinking about Fran today, and your post reminded me of her learn-to-knit story. Didn't she knit the same ball of white yarn/string over and over again? I can't find the post, but I think that was the gist of it.

It's nice to read about all these happy memories being made!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Luann Posted - 08/14/2013 : 05:04:21 AM
Isn't it the best feeling? My five-year-old niece visited this weekend, and she was so excited to show me that she had learned how to finger-knit this summer. She kept ripping out and re-knitting the same yarn all weekend, pretty much anytime I'd pick my WIP up, she'd run get hers and sit beside me. I loved it! Planning to get her some needles and show her that technique the next time we visit.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
robinstephanie Posted - 08/13/2013 : 08:57:13 AM
It's really not too shabby, is it, Purlewe!?

Donna, yes, we had tons of fun, and I'm *thrilled* the knitting stuck. Gardening sounds like another excellent love to bond over.

Robinsteph

donnawatk Posted - 08/12/2013 : 09:49:17 AM
Robinsteph. I know you had fun hanging out with you niece. I'm glad to hear she still likes knitting. You both have Happy knitting together. I have the Aunt who like to garden. When I visit the first thing out of her mouth is lets go to the garden we spend hours together. Its our time together. Donna
purlewe Posted - 08/12/2013 : 09:28:18 AM
THIS IS WONDERFUL!!!!

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe