Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Which yarn/s should I bring home with me?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
robinstephanie Posted - 08/25/2013 : 10:32:06 AM
I'm housesitting for a friend in the East Bay, miles and miles from my San Francisco LYS. Yesterday I visited Oakland's well-known Article Pract for the first time. Love!

They have Ecobutterfly Pakucho cotton roving, for Pete's sake. Since my spinnable fiber stash exceeds my yarn stash, I'm leaving it alone and focusing on the yarn. I'd like to get a skein of treat yarn to bring home.

I'm looking at:
Filatura di Crosa Superior Lace
Louet Kidlin Lace (DK and worsted patterns recommended)
Alchemy Haiku Lace
Classic Elite Woodland DK (wool and nettle)

Which yarn should I buy? What pattern would you recommend?

I admit, I am particularly curious about the Kidlin and the Woodland. I like the solidity and the earthiness of the bast fibers. But please, change my mind! I'm here all week, and am scouring Ravelry, sort of. My friend's internet is distressingly slow for a pattern search on four kinds of yarn.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eldergirl Posted - 09/01/2013 : 5:37:11 PM
Awww, poor Robinsteph! But so glad it all worked out happily! I have heard about Stone Mountain and Daughter, but haven't visited California/SF for 60 years ! !!! They weren't there then! The age when stores were named such things had not happened! Anyway, well done!

When i went through something like that, I would add up my achievements at the end, and say "Well! I came away with twice the swag I planned for in the beginning! "

But, you made decisions with help from our "tribe", as Minh calls it, and that is an achievement, too!

Best wishes from one of the enthusiastic enablers,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
robinstephanie Posted - 09/01/2013 : 11:34:50 AM
Well! I'd decided on the Kidlin and the Jardin D'Hiver and went to pick it up... and they only had 2 skeins left of the color I wanted--in different dye lots! And no more coming because Kidlin is discontinued! I was so disappointed I left without anything and went to the fabric store instead.

The local fabric store, Stone Mountain and Daughter, is super fantastic. I bought a handful of awesome fat quarters and a few various quarter yards. I'm going to make project bags for myself and my niece, who recently started knitting (and whom I've crowed about here). I need more bags, and Lizzie doesn't have any, so I've started collecting handmade and purchased project bags for her, plus a Knit Kit and other fun little knitting tools, for her birthday.

Then I went home and bought the Kidlin on eBay for 7$ a skein! I bought 6 skeins, enough for the Jardin D'Hiver and a few other projects too. The superior and the Woodland will just have to wait, but only until I need another souvenir!

Thanks for weighing in, for all the suggestions, and your enabling good will!

Robinsteph

jtamsn Posted - 08/28/2013 : 10:36:58 AM
Looking forward to find out your decision...and pattern decision!
judy
robinstephanie Posted - 08/28/2013 : 10:14:36 AM
Awesome,Jane, so glad to help! Isn't it a beautiful pattern? It will be beautiful in quiviut/merino. Hope we get to see some pics after.

And oh, gad, I've taken another look at the Woodland shawlette, and yeah, it's pretty great and it would show the texture of the yarn so well... Oh, man!

OK, so it's decided. I'm not getting the Haiku. All bets are off for everything else. I'm probably going to the yarn store today. Wow, that's some discipline!

Robinsteph

Jane Posted - 08/27/2013 : 10:16:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by robinstephanie

You guys crack me up.

I'm partly in the "ankles" camp and partly in the "mortgage? what mortgage?" camp. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for two of them, not just one, which is painful, but not four, which is still in the realm of "treat" and "souvenir".

The Kidlin is the ankle grabber. There's just somethin' about it that makes me pant, and drool a little bit, ya know? I uncovered this on rav, and find it irrestibly beautiful:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jardin-dhiver

But the one that makes me forget about the PG&E bill is the FdC Superior. I haven't bought a skein of luxury yarn in a long time. And yes, Sara Sue, I have been a good girl, you're right! I'm thinking this. I like the clash of luxury and distress. I might need to buy a new coat to go with it: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/white-swan-scarf

Robinsteph

Talk about enabling! I downloaded Jardin D'Hiver immediately -- it will be perfect in some Still River Qiviut-Merino I've been saving!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
flicka Posted - 08/27/2013 : 09:37:26 AM
I love the Filatura di Crosa Superior. I used it in the turquoise color for a Bias Loop (Churchmouse pattern), which I gave as a gift.

flicka
robinstephanie Posted - 08/27/2013 : 08:42:59 AM
You guys crack me up.

I'm partly in the "ankles" camp and partly in the "mortgage? what mortgage?" camp. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for two of them, not just one, which is painful, but not four, which is still in the realm of "treat" and "souvenir".

The Kidlin is the ankle grabber. There's just somethin' about it that makes me pant, and drool a little bit, ya know? I uncovered this on rav, and find it irrestibly beautiful:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jardin-dhiver

But the one that makes me forget about the PG&E bill is the FdC Superior. I haven't bought a skein of luxury yarn in a long time. And yes, Sara Sue, I have been a good girl, you're right! I'm thinking this. I like the clash of luxury and distress. I might need to buy a new coat to go with it: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/white-swan-scarf

Robinsteph

eldergirl Posted - 08/26/2013 : 10:33:45 PM
Sara Sue is my kinda girl!! Listen to the whisper of the enablers, Robinsteph!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Sara Sue Posted - 08/26/2013 : 1:28:33 PM
If you're looking for an enabler instead of somebody to help make a sensible decision then I'm your guy. All of them. I mean, it'll be forever before you get a chance to be there again right??? And you've been a good girl right??? And what else would you spend the money on -- food, mortgage, necessities. Pffftt. There you go. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Mshark Posted - 08/26/2013 : 12:39:22 PM
Robinsteph -- I picked up some Kidlin at Maryland Sheep and Wool this spring and knit it up into a vertical drop stitch large scarf/small stole. The yarn is much easier to work with than I imagined it would be and I loved the result. Link here (I hope it works! http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Knitshark1/vertical-drop-stitch-shawl). Now I'm off to check out the Woodland 'cuz it sounds divine. Doesn't sound like you could go wrong. One or two of each ??!?

Miriam

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

purlewe Posted - 08/26/2013 : 08:54:44 AM
I'm with Jane. Typically I don't have a choice as the yarn tends to choose me!!

But that woodland shawlette is pretty fantastic. And I think it would show off the tactile nature of the yarn.

What is your gut (or ankles in Jane's case) telling you?

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Jane Posted - 08/25/2013 : 1:07:19 PM
I would bring home whichever yarn jumps out of the bin, grabs me by the ankles, and won't let go.

But the Woodland sounds intriguing. And there's a free CY pattern: Woodland Shawlette that calls for four balls.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
anderknit Posted - 08/25/2013 : 10:42:08 AM
Which yarn is the most "tactile," or has the richest colors? Which one would be hardest to find/order online? That's what would guide me to my souvenir yarn.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe