Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning with Spindles
 tensioned lazy kate for spindles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 08/29/2013 : 06:29:33 AM
I become SO frustrated when trying to ply my spindle-spun singles ... I can't even seem to wind a plying ball without a tangled mess. Then, when finally ready to ply from what I've wound onto tt rolls, my homemade contraptions still leave a lot to be desired. I've looked at lots of photos on Ravelry, but still have a problem providing tension for the strands coming off the rolls or spindles or knitting needles or whatever is holding my singles. I usually end up laying a magazine or something over them to slow them down.

I'd appreciate ideas from others who improvise their own devices. I'm considering purchasing a spindle kate that holds the spindles upright for plying, but don't understand how they are "tensioned" to keep the spindles from just spinning freely, so am holding back for now.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kade1301 Posted - 09/16/2013 : 04:39:59 AM
I admit, I've never tried plying from a spindle - for the simple reason that my spindles are all different and I stick to one of them for a project. But as I'm too lazy to wind the yarn off into a ball, I wrap some paper around the spindle shaft onto which I wind the yarn (only works for top whorl spindles - or bottom whorls with removable whorl). When the "bobbin" is full I stick it onto a lazy kate - or under an upturned flower pot. And one day it will go directly into a shuttle for weaving...

Happy spinning! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
robinstephanie Posted - 08/31/2013 : 10:55:34 AM
Azblue, yes, that is what I was trying to describe.

Donna, pea yoo, sorry I didn't catch that your original post was about plying from spindles, not bobbins.

I've heard the box thing with spindles works pretty well. I've never tried it with spindles, but may some day. I've never had much luck plying from spindles either. Good luck!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
ikkivan Posted - 08/31/2013 : 08:27:23 AM
Aha ... I may have found just what I'm looking for through pictures on a Ravelry forum from UK spindlers using rubber bands for tension across the ends of spindles sticking out from a cardboard box, i.e., the "shoebox" kate. Most of the Internet searches were fruitless and usually dealt with plying ONTO a drop spindle, not plying FROM spindles. This may help me also with making a plying ball from the singles ... hopefully I'll have time to give it a try over the holiday weekend.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
azblueskies Posted - 08/30/2013 : 07:07:32 AM
If you google "how to ply two spindles" you'll get all kinds of ideas. Knitters are very inventive!!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
ikkivan Posted - 08/29/2013 : 4:19:09 PM
These are great DIY ideas, but will they work for SPINDLES, as in drop spindles? I do not use a wheel or bobbins, but drop spindles. I am going to show the plans to my husband, who has an engineer's mind ... I'm sure he can make it work for my spindles. I'd like to ply directly from the spindles without having to wind first onto something else; I'm sure I can, if I can just find a way to control the speed of the singles coming off the spindles.

Thank you all for the replies!

mrsnoache Posted - 08/29/2013 : 3:06:52 PM
Where did the term Lazy Kate originate?
azblueskies Posted - 08/29/2013 : 12:12:25 PM
Here's one like you describe, I think, Robinsteph: http://pcknits.blogspot.com/2008/02/tensioned-lazy-kate.html

azblue
robinstephanie Posted - 08/29/2013 : 08:59:46 AM
A spinning teacher taught me to make a tensioned lazy kate out of a box, knitting needles, and a rubber band. Not sure if I can describe it in words:

Find a box big enough to fit three bobbins side by side turning freely. Select three straight knitting needles that a) you won't want to use for a while and b) fit through the centers of your bobbins. Poke holes with the knitting needles through both sides of the box. Result: 6 holes, lined up in pairs of 2. Stick needles into first holes, place rubber band around all three needles, stick bobbins on ends of needles, stick needles through second holes. Voila. May need to mess with the size of the rubber band in order to get tension that works for you. Your mileage may vary.

If it sounds like an interesting idea, feel free to ask questions for clarification.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
azblueskies Posted - 08/29/2013 : 07:12:10 AM
Maybe this would help - http://yarnenvy.blogspot.com/2011/09/tensioned-lazy-kate-plans.html

azblue

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe