Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Circular needles for socks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
babyprep Posted - 08/20/2013 : 9:57:18 PM
Whether you knit on DPNs or 2 straight needles or circs. What are the best needles for each?

Teresa www.myknittingpassion.blogspot.com
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 09/14/2013 : 5:03:55 PM
I just noticed this question, so had to put in my own 2 cents ... I've tried all the methods and settled on Magic Loop exclusively now as the one that works best for me; I normally use a 32" bamboo or wood circular in sizes 0 through 2 (and yeah, some are curved, although I prefer to say they are personalized!). I no longer use the nickel-plated or steel needles (although I have many) because the glare bothers my eyes too much. I'll use a 40" for a really large sock.

I also have some of the Kollage square circulars (the new cables) that I like in the tiny sizes; although metal, the finish does not produce much glare. What I really like about them, though, is that they FEEL like a larger size needle in my hands than the small size stitches they produce.

I frequently knit two socks at once, but always on two separate needles. I've tried the two at once on one circular, but that takes away from the portability I like about socks (for me, anyway).

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
jtamsn Posted - 08/24/2013 : 8:11:25 PM
I use 2 16 inch Addis for socks most of the time. When I do use dp's, I like Susan Bates silverlume. I'm not a fan of bamboo in small dp sizes as they bend on me (I probably hold them too tightly)'
judy
kkknitter Posted - 08/24/2013 : 03:45:43 AM
Hi Teresa!

I just put in an order for addis Sock Rockets 40" long in size 0, 1, and 2 to http://www.knitnewhaven.com/. They sell them for a very reasonable price. They also have them in 00 and 000! You really should try the Rockets since they are a pleasure to knit with.

Kristina
babyprep Posted - 08/23/2013 : 5:40:15 PM
Any of you have any extra 40" addis you want to sell? Or trade?

Teresa
Luann Posted - 08/22/2013 : 8:46:42 PM
These days I am mostly doing magic loop on a 40" Addi, but sometimes I use two 24" circs or dpns, depending on the yarn, the pattern, my mood, and which needles are available (I tend to have a lot of WIPs.)

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
robinstephanie Posted - 08/22/2013 : 08:20:57 AM
I like knitting socks both with dpns and with 2 circs. They each have their charm. I tend to just go with whatever the pattern calls for, since that's easier (for me) then translating.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
kbshee Posted - 08/21/2013 : 10:32:03 AM
I use 2 circs, size 1 or 2, and often use the KnitPicks Nickel plated. I like the points. The needles aren't that expensive (and I misplace them often). I chuckled when I read about breaking bamboo needles, first since I tend to bend the #1s out of shape pretty easily.

And second, because it reminds me of Breaking Bad. Since yarn is our crack, it kind of makes sense.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
azblueskies Posted - 08/21/2013 : 07:02:21 AM
I use two circulars and knit both socks at the same time. I use Addi's and have used the Hiya Hiya.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
kkknitter Posted - 08/21/2013 : 06:51:33 AM
Hi Teresa, I'm a long time sock knitter and I have gone from DPNs to two circs, and now for the last year to the Magic Loop. I like to knit with size 0 and 1 and kept breaking the bamboo needles left and right. But, I found that with two circs too much cable was hanging around. The Magic Loop seems to be a good fit and it is easier on my hands. Recently I bought a pair of Addi Turbo Sock Rockets, and I love them. The sharp tips are great for the kind of intricate knitting I like to do. I plane to get more Sock Rockets.

Kristina

--kk

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kkknitter/
Jane Posted - 08/21/2013 : 03:37:57 AM
I'm a die-hard dpn fan, and knitting socks on tiny needles is one of the reasons I like bamboo. They're easier on my hands. Some people break wooden needles in those small sizes, but I don't. I do keep metal dpns around just in case, but I hardly ever use them! I never got used to the cables and needles hanging or looping, and I love that little collabsible square.

It really is a test drive kind of thing you have to see what works for you!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
babyprep Posted - 08/21/2013 : 01:38:28 AM
So even if you are knitting with size 0 or 1???

Teresa
eldergirl Posted - 08/21/2013 : 12:46:14 AM
Hi Teresa,

I use 2 circular needles, Hiya Hiya brand, (I get them at Schoolhouse Press online), and am usually happy.

But I have tried some different types: I used to love bamboo double-points, the 5/needle sets, and shorter length--maybe 5-6" long. Once the two-needle technique got developed (I read "Socks Soar" by Cat Bhordi) , it has been circulars. I tried Addi circs, but the Hiya Hiya points are much better for me.

But see, it is really what you and your hands prefer! I had to try several types, refining my specs more and more, until I was happy. But sometimes I go back to my old bamboo set, when I want softness --and the needles are a little "bent" from my work, so they suit my hands well.

So try one way, then another.....it's going to be your Knitter's Choice, as it should be!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
babyprep Posted - 08/20/2013 : 10:01:51 PM
[quote]Originally posted by babyprep

Whether you knit on DPNs or 2 straight needles or circs. What are the best needles for each?

Teresa

Teresa

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe