Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Hi From San Francisco! Newbie Knitter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beatricey1 Posted - 09/15/2013 : 08:25:14 AM
Hello Fellow Knitters!

I am new to this forum as I have inherited my mother's needles and crochet hooks after she passed away in July 2013.

I used to think she was crazy for all the YARN she stored. OMG TONS of it and unfortunately, my 2 other sisters and I didn't think to keep much but instead donated rooms full to school programs that took away funding for arts and crafts, to the Senior Center for them to have something to knit with, and to the Cancer Society to make lovely hats. My one sister and I each kept one ball of yarn.

I remember when I was a 9-year old, she tried to show me; teach me what she was a master at. I told her, "I hate to tie string in knots...it's boring!" I may not have had the know-how, or patience to do it then, yet, a few days after cleaning out the estate I picked up one of her hooks and a ball of yarn, it was like she was there [in spirit] to show me again!

As for Knitting: I could NOT get the hang of casting on her needles! That childhood feeling of frustration returned: "...tie string in knots...why? why? why? Mom, I wish you were around to show me how again". I continued to fumble around with the casting and tossing it aside so as not to look at it again. Ever!

About 3:45AM that night, I woke up and heard myself say, "Pick up the knitting and cast on. You'll remember..." So, half-asleep, I did and I'm not sure why because I love my sleep. Anyways, I CASTED ON and STARTED KNITTING "knit 1, purl 2" and away we go! YIPPEE!!!

Now, a month later, I am addicted to learning as much as possible. I have a ladies circle where we do yarn crafts for 3 hrs one day a week. We have coffee or tea and visit together. I love the various yarns (textures, colours, patterns ...and SALES! lol). I find peace in my soul when I knit or crochet with Mom's needles and hooks. I have a picture of her that show's her laughing; in heaven, I think of her joyously saying, "See I told you it was fun".

I have finished a few easy projects and given them as gifts. I have bought many fabulous and colourful balls of yarn to create "Mom's Celebration of Life blanket" ... I was stressed when I started it and didn't count the stitches, so it's mega LONG and its probably going to need a bazillion balls of yarn to make it right in the width. Ugh! *I think it's payback: Each stitch is for everytime I complained as a child when learning. So, I pray and bless each stitch and give thanks for every person & pet in my life and each day God gives me.

But most importantly, I have but one ball of Mom's yarn; one simple ball that has become the foundation of remembering all her goodness and love. One ball of yarn, each stitch a blessing.

Written with love and dedicated to my Mom for all her patience with a very stubborn child who wouldn't 'tie string in knots'.

Happy to meet you all! Let's have some fun and KNIT!

Beatricey1

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jtamsn Posted - 09/25/2013 : 3:39:08 PM
Mari, even though I have been knitting for 50+ years, your enthusiasm for knitting is contagious! I souusually consider myself a yarn addict, although for the last 4 months I have been recovering from shoulder surgery, and my knitting stamina is limited, its driving me (not my budget) nuts!lol! Presque Isle is about 5 to 6 hours north of where I live in southern Maine. Maine is a beautiful place to live.
judy
Beatricey1 Posted - 09/25/2013 : 3:27:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rwats2

Welcome to the Forum from the great state of Louisiana, and fellow music lover. I hope That you enjoy the great because there is always an answer or solution to just about every knitted, crochet pattern issue. It's is a great group of people.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca!

Sorry it took me a minute to reply back and thank you for the welcome. I put myself on "yarn restriction" because I have learned that I evidently have a yarnie addiction. I am now learning how to knit on circulars as of today. I'm going to make a shrug

I hope you're having a wonderful day [knitting] and listening to great music!

Mari

Beatricey1 on Ravelry
Rwats2 Posted - 09/20/2013 : 7:13:38 PM
Welcome to the Forum from the great state of Louisiana, and fellow music lover. I hope That you enjoy the great because there is always an answer or solution to just about every knitted, crochet pattern issue. It's is a great group of people.

Rebecca
Beatricey1 Posted - 09/17/2013 : 10:26:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jtamsn

Welcome, Mari, from Maine. I, too, loved your story. Many of us remember our mothers and grandmother's knitting and crocheting when we were young. My sister-in-law taught me when I was 8. I have inherited needles from my mother, mother-in-law, and grandmother-in-law. I rarely use their needles, but I cherish them. I think you will find that here on the forums, there are folks with a variety of skill levels, always willing to help answer a question. I also find that forum members often inspire me to try techniques I have not tried. Will love to hear of the progress of your afghan!
judy

Good Morning from San Francisco JTamsn!

Wow my #2 sister just moved to Presque Isle, Maine this week as a matter of fact! She was hanging curtains in her new place yesterday, and is encouraging me to take a job there (move to Maine, basically). I still need details of the work, because I'd rather just learn to knit. lol (confession!)

I'm very excited to report that I am learning more and more about knitting each day... and I am not ashamed that I am quickly on my way to becoming a Yarnie! Can you say addicted?

Yesterday, Sister #2 happened to call while I was learning how to do a linen stitch. I had to get out of the house so I was sitting at a park with my practice swatch. I told her I organized my stash on Ravelry with pics! I also mentioned I have accumulated what has begun to appear like Mom's craft room and I put myself on "yarn restriction" until I finish my scoodie, despite the fact I have a small coupon orgranizer strictly for my yarn, needles, hooks and crafty stuff in my tote! I reported that I am planning on attending my first yarn faire...and I went on and on ...omg. All she could say was, "What has happened to you?!"

I certainly am very happy to meet everyone on here and thank you for such a sweet greeting!

Mari and Beatrice the Bulldog
PS: *(we are 1-4 girls & a bro weaved in the middle of us, and I am #4...I don't count him as a #. Sisterly love I suppose lol)
Beatricey1 Posted - 09/17/2013 : 10:08:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by crafty1mjw@comcast.net

My condolences on the passing of your mother, Beatricey1. Welcome to the KF from Colorado! Glad u have joined us & hope u decide to stay!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
The more, the merrier!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!

Good Morning Craftymjw. Thank you for your condolences and the welcome to KR. I am very excited about re-learning and meeting all of you! Thank you again. Mari
jtamsn Posted - 09/17/2013 : 09:56:21 AM
Welcome, Mari, from Maine. I, too, loved your story. Many of us remember our mothers and grandmother's knitting and crocheting when we were young. My sister-in-law taught me when I was 8. I have inherited needles from my mother, mother-in-law, and grandmother-in-law. I rarely use their needles, but I cherish them. I think you will find that here on the forums, there are folks with a variety of skill levels, always willing to help answer a question. I also find that forum members often inspire me to try techniques I have not tried. Will love to hear of the progress of your afghan!
judy
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 09/16/2013 : 4:15:14 PM
My condolences on the passing of your mother, Beatricey1. Welcome to the KF from Colorado! Glad u have joined us & hope u decide to stay!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
The more, the merrier!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
Beatricey1 Posted - 09/16/2013 : 07:23:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by eldergirl

...And tell us how your Celebration of Life blanket is getting along, and especially when you finish it!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.

Good Morning Anna. Thank you for the kind welcome to KR. My Celebration blanket is currently smiling at me from inside a Trader Joe's bag (because it has outgrown my small knitting tote)! But I have set a program for myself to finish at least 2-4 rows a day so I can finish this before the year end! haha

Best wishes, happy to meet you!

Mari & Beatrice the bulldog
eldergirl Posted - 09/15/2013 : 9:45:01 PM
Hi Mari, and welcome to the Forums from Baltimore ! I loved your story, and am so glad you "knew" you had the ability in you to cast on!
And tell us how your Celebration of Life blanket is getting along, and especially when you finish it!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
Beatricey1 Posted - 09/15/2013 : 6:29:55 PM
Hi Robinsteph!

Very happy to meet you and a fellow SAN FRANCISCAN! Ooooh-weee! LOVE IT. I want to thank you for the warm welcome. You were the first to say hello! Today, I spent some time writing in what I termed, "Mari's Knitter's Knotebook" --- this is where I study & write about stitches, some knitting basics, sprinkle my thoughts in, and keep a pic of Mom. I told my sister today, "knitting is the best therapy [for me] and there are academic peer reviewed studies on the affects it has on prisoners and patients with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder". *My two older sisters and I are a bit nerdy. OK, a lot nerdy; I always have a pen in my hand kind of nerdy. lol

Thanks again for the welcome,
Mari

Beatrice is our English Bulldog :)
robinstephanie Posted - 09/15/2013 : 3:14:09 PM
Hi, Beatricey--

Welcome to KR. What a sweet & moving story; you have found a wonderful way to maintain a connection with your mother. It sounds like in the process you've found out an awful lot about yourself that you didn't suspect was in there. Very cool!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe