Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Need help with hood instructions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
paloma Posted - 10/28/2013 : 6:56:07 PM
Hey everyone - I'm almost done with this cardigan except for the hood:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/slouchy-cardigan

The pattern for this project is filled with errors, although I've adhered closely to the suggestions from fellow users on Ravelry - so far so good.

The hood instructions are really bothering me. Not too much info on that, wondering if someone might shed some light on what I should be doing since I've hit a brick wall.

I copied that part of the pattern below. The hood is already divided, and my next row to work is (RS). I'm confused between the top part Divide Hood and Shape, and the bottom part Decrease Row:

Divide Hood and Shape Top:
(RS) Work 62 stitches, join second ball of yarn, work to end. Working both sides at the same time, work 1 (WS) row even.

Decrease one stitch at beginning of this row, then every other row once.

Work 2 rows even, end RS row.

Decrease Row:
(RS) Decrease 1 stitch each side as follows: For Right Side of Hood, work across to last 3 stitches, k2tog, work 1 stitch; For Left Side of Hood, work 1 stitch, ask, work to end - 61 stitches remain each side. Work 1 (WS) row. Repeat Decrease Row once, then at each center edge, BO 2 stitches twice, 3 stitches once, then 4 stitches once, AND AT THE SAME TIME, at each outside edge, BO 7 stitches twice, then 8 stitches once.

BO remaining 27 stitches each side.

Maybe I'm just not seeing what's supposed to happen. The pattern layout for the hood looks just like an open book but the decreases in the first part (shape hood) are confusing to me -- I completely understand what's going on in the Decrease Row towards the middle but I'm not sure how I should be incorporating the top instructions or first part of shaping with the bottom.

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
paloma Posted - 11/06/2013 : 5:44:04 PM
Hi Ceil, I made progress a few days ago when I decided to just go ahead and follow the advice that was given which I was reluctant to do at first. None of the comments I'd read indicated to omit the following sentences and continue on to decreases further down the page, which is exactly what I did and what was advised by the woman at my lys:

Decrease one stitch at beginning of this row, then every other row once.

Work 2 rows even, end RS row.

I ignored this as instructed, and proceeded on to the decrease instructions below. I was done in about an hour - there were only a few rows that needed knitting and I'd knitted most of the hood already.

When I'd finished I thought the hood looked small -- was worried that I hadn't skipped rows when I should have while decreasing and you can imagine my frustration at this point When I looked at the diagrams of the pattern pieces in the book the hood's shape and measurements were perfect!!!

I haven't begun to sew the sweater together, but the hood does get sewn on, not knitted together onto the body. The two balls of yarn divide the hood which later gets seamed to shape it (I've yet to figure that one out lol.)

Thanks for responding. I did wait a while and just decided to try since it was staring back at me for the longest. I've been knitting for the holidays and it was easy for me to put it aside and think about it since I have so many other projects going on at the same time.
Ceil Posted - 11/05/2013 : 10:24:15 PM
It sounds to me like you knit the hood as two pieces, both attached to the sweater body. That's why the second bal of yarn is attached at what seems to be the center back neck. So this is nothing like socks, esp. if you will sew the two halves together at center back to finish.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
paloma Posted - 10/29/2013 : 11:06:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by robinstephanie

Oh migod, that's... that's like a spoof on bad instructions! I've never knitted a hood before, and I can't tell you how confusing those instructions are to me. I'm sorry I can't offer help, just sympathy.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

LOL!

Your post made me feel a little better
paloma Posted - 10/29/2013 : 11:02:49 PM
@ Purlthis
Unfortunately have not made socks yet and cannot transform what I see going on with the heel in stitches. That said, I saw a woman today who helped me with the sewing part of the cardigan. Her advice on the instructions was to disregard the "shaping hood decreases" at the beginning of this and every other row and continue on with the middle decreases which I get. How you get 61 stitches after decreasing once in the middle AND the shaping hood decrease at the beginning is beyond me.

I've not continued with the hood - I'm not sure if disregarding that part is what I should be doing since there hasn't been any updated errata and no one else seems to have a problem. Only one other person said the hood instructions were a bit confusing.

I still have this on hold and haven't been able to move forward but thanks so much for the input, very much appreciated.
robinstephanie Posted - 10/29/2013 : 10:51:36 PM
Oh migod, that's... that's like a spoof on bad instructions! I've never knitted a hood before, and I can't tell you how confusing those instructions are to me. I'm sorry I can't offer help, just sympathy.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
purlthis Posted - 10/29/2013 : 7:31:45 PM
Does it help if you think of it as a sock heel? That's how I think of it. Hope it helps!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe