Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Hats, Gloves, and Mittens
 looking for 1968 circa Woman's day purse pattern

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
happykat Posted - 11/15/2013 : 4:29:31 PM
I found a thread on this very pattern from 2004 when I was trying to help a friend find what I believe is that exact same pattern the other night. here is her description and below is the beginning of the forum thread.

I would love to be able to find it for her..

Her request post to a group of friends.

Hello friends! For years I have searched for this pattern and I am sorry I do not have a picture. This was a knitting pattern that was published in the late 60's 0r very early 70's, in either Woman's Day, or Family Circle. The pattern was a set of little pouches/purses that were made with Aunt Lydia's Rug yarn There were several versions the two I remember were 1.) a pouch with a cable running down the front of it 2.) one done in a moss stitch. If memory serves me correctly the picture in the magazine was of the pouches hanging on a branch. The little purses had crocheted strings for hanging on your shoulder. Today they would be perfect for a cell phone pouch. Made up, they were about 8" long, rounded bottom shaped kind of like an egg with a flat top.
If any of you still had this pattern I would be so grateful, I have searched for years for this, even written to the magazines with no one being able to find it. I made quite a few of them years ago and would LOVE to have the pattern again.

from the forum****************
Somewhere in the late 60s one of the women's magazines (Family Circle? Woman's Day?) published a pattern for a little purse. It was urn-shaped, knit all in one piece then folded in half with ribbing on the top edge, and I think finished with a long crocheted cord for over the shoulder. The directions were for a simple bag, but gave directions for different stitches (moss stitch, cable, etc)to customize the body of it. I remember that I made one in high school and every girl who knew how to knit had one, too, in different stitch patterns.

Thanks for any and all help

Kathy aka happykat
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
NastiJ Posted - 11/17/2013 : 7:59:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by happykat

...Hoping to some day get our hands on teh 1986 Woman's Day magazine and perhaps find it that way. She did like the ones I found on Ravelry and bought them last night. ijust don't give up easily LOL.

(I'm assuming you meant 1968)

There is a listing on eBay for:
"NOVEMBER 1968 WOMAN'S DAY MAGAZINE CHRISTMAS 100 GIFTS TO MAKE INSTRUCTIONS"
might that be the one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVEMBER-1968-WOMANS-DAY-MAGAZINE-CHRISTMAS-100-GIFTS-TO-MAKE-INSTRUCTIONS-/380712941137?pt=Magazines&hash=item58a4427651

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
robinstephanie Posted - 11/16/2013 : 10:50:46 AM
Have you tried your library? They may have those old magazines, either bound or on microfiche. Out of curiosity, I looked at San Francisco Main's holdings; they have Woman's Days that go back to 1971.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
happykat Posted - 11/15/2013 : 8:19:09 PM
I searched on Pinterest and Ravelry and Etsy and Googled all night and that is how I found the original thread. Hoping to some day get our hands on teh 1986 Woman's Day magazine and perhaps find it that way. She did like the ones I found on Ravelry and bought them last night. ijust don't give up easily LOL.
Ceil Posted - 11/15/2013 : 7:22:57 PM
How about Ravelry?

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe