Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 My first pair of knitting needles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 12/29/2013 : 08:12:16 AM
I got them out during Christmas dinner and placed them on the DR table for all to see, explaining that they were a Christmas gift from my aunt in 1963. Then I realized I'd had them for 50 years! Perhaps more importantly, I've been knitting for 50 years as of 12/25/13! Happy thoughts.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ruby Plaid Posted - 02/26/2014 : 2:25:14 PM
My aunt gave me my first set of knitting needles about 40 years ago. I don't know the manufacturer but it was the 70s so they were plastic and groovy! (not).

When I took up knitting again 12 years ago my first needle purchase for myself was a pair of size 8 US Plymouth bamboo needles, and I seem to use size 8 more than any other. :0

My knitting & crafts blog is here: http://www.spindyeknitlove.wordpress.com
Gelliott Posted - 01/21/2014 : 1:00:36 PM
My mom bought me my first needles per 40 years ago, at about age 9--yellow plastic size 8. I used them for several years, until my brother broke one, using it as a sword, when we were teenagers.

Semi-literary note: Since my name is actually Ellen Dill, the broken needle was the broken sword of Elendil, (and reforged by my brother, using super glue and tape). We happened to both be reading the Lord of the Rings at the time.

Gelliott
robinstephanie Posted - 01/04/2014 : 12:36:53 PM
These are great! I love that people have hung onto and loved their first pair of needles for such incredible lengths of time. Mine were a pair of size 8 Boye's that I bought at the local thrift store. I've only had them for a few years, but I know they had a happy life with another knitting sister or brother for a long time before they came to me. They're the old-style Boye's, and still had their wrapper, which says Made in America.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Ceil Posted - 12/31/2013 : 3:03:27 PM
Im loving all these stories. Keep 'em coming!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Catlover Posted - 12/31/2013 : 11:10:53 AM
My first needles are wooden. They were part of a children's learn to knit kit that my grandmother gave me for my birthday when I was about 10. I still have them and love them although they are somewhat short and I haven't used them in years. I also have the red, white, and blue sock needle set my mother had and used during WWII. Those needles were so attractive to me that they served a my inspiration to learn to knit. The kit was something I has asked for and was thrilled to receive. Aren't our memories of our first needles fun?
LJ Posted - 12/30/2013 : 3:44:43 PM
Love that they were a gift.

I purchased my first pair, Boye US size 8, green, at a department store in 1968, so 45 years ago. The sales lady helped me with the purchase of the needles, navy blue wool and a booklet on how to knit.

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
Lynne604 Posted - 12/30/2013 : 10:16:13 AM
That's amazing. You should have those needles framed.

I've been knitting for 7 years now. I don't remember what size my first needles were, but over the years I've built up a large collection.
Luann Posted - 12/29/2013 : 6:23:53 PM
Congratulations on your knitter-versary! I got my first needles from my MIL on Thanksgiving weekend in 1994, when she taught me to knit. She passed away 2 years later. This Thanksgiving weekend I taught my 6-year-old son and niece, her grandchildren, how to knit. Very special moment for all of us.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe