Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Elsbeth Lavold's Silky Wool

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 02/10/2014 : 11:42:26 PM
I knitted a sweater in this yarn and need to take it apart (wrong gauge, related to Emotional Frog posted elsewhere in KR).

Maybe when I go down to the needle size that will give me the blocked gauge, the k2p2 ribbing will compress the way it usually does? Right now it lays flat, and looks terrible. I'll know more when I swatch again.

But I do wonder if k2p1 ribbing would be a better choice? I'm hoping someone with experience knitting this yarn will share what worked for them ribbing-wise. I love the sweater design, but it doesn't fit right and I am ready to start over with the benefit of someone else's yarn experience.

Thank you!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ceil Posted - 02/12/2014 : 11:29:03 PM
Yes, I will do all of that, unless someone here has already been through it and can help me target something specific to swatch. Another thought I have is k1p1 and twist the stitches. I could easily use up a whole skein swatching! Thankfully, I seem to have enough yarn.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
eldergirl Posted - 02/11/2014 : 03:20:15 AM
Hi Ceil,
I don't know the Silky Wool itself, but I can picture the ribbing problem at any rate. I think it is partly the yarn itself. With the silk blend, and perhaps in the making of the yarn, it doesn't have the elasticity that wool has.

Try out some swatches, and block them, with different ribbing counts, and see if that gives you data to decide. Another tack might be to decrease the number of stitches for the ribbing, and then increase for the body at the top of the ribbing. (A lot of old British patterns -- you know, the ones that fit more precisely) used that technique.)

Anyway, good luck, and hope somebody who knows the yarn will help you more!

Anna

Life is beautiful.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe