Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 In the market for a new set

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stherio Posted - 02/27/2014 : 5:28:52 PM
I have a set of Boye Needlemaster needles and cables that I bought when I was in HS and worked at Ben Franklin's. I got an employee discountI bought a second set on Ebay a few years ago since I'm not a one project type of girl. Well, since my original set is going on 40 years old, the cables are getting brittle and I think I need a new set. What do you all think of the Knit Picks sets? Or should I get a new Boye one? I have to admit, I've never knitted on straight needles my entire life, so I need to do something here! I have a sweater that I want to make that's done on circulars and these cables will work but they are really stiff and I can't get them to align anymore. I do feel like I'm kicking out an old friend, but I need to upgrade.

Suzy
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 02/28/2014 : 5:56:05 PM
Hiya Hiya are my favorites, and I have (or have had) a number of brands, including Denise and Addi and KP. I have several sets of the Hiya Hiya and will probably end up with another one some day, too.

Knit Picks are awful, with about a third of the joins being faulty/rough/ill-fitting on all three sets I had (note I said HAD, nickel, acrylic and wood). That new brand I see advertised all over the place that are made by the same company as Knit Picks are just as bad ... I have tried several of the fixed circs just to see what they are like, and they are just like the KP. Good thing they were cheap, because they are trash.

I know problems happen with all brands, and one day I'll have a faulty Hiya Hiya, but it hasn't happened yet with any of the many fixed or interchangeables that I own and use.

I love Addi fixed circs, but the joins on my click set snag very fine fibers; they are NOT as smooth as the Hiya Hiya. Even my Darn Pretty circulars, because they swivel, snag fine fibers.

Thank goodness there are lots of choices out there.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
lucybug Posted - 02/28/2014 : 11:37:13 AM
I vote for Addis as well -- very smooth and great connection for the cables.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
Catlover Posted - 02/28/2014 : 10:57:31 AM
I have Addis and love them.
azblueskies Posted - 02/28/2014 : 07:29:44 AM
KP does replace defective tips but I've had too many separate from the screw-on part. It's very irritating to have to stop and wait days on a replacement set. That said, they are very pretty (wood) but I don't know if I'll order them again. I don't like the Boyes either and I have a set of the Denise but I'm not a fan of the cords. I'd like to try the Addi and/or Knitter's Pride interchangeables.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
purlthis Posted - 02/27/2014 : 6:40:58 PM
I bought the metal, just because I seem to be slowed down too much by the grip wooden or bamboo needles seem to have when compared to metal. I knit pretty quickly, and have not found a non metal needle I care for, except the Denise needles, but I rarely use them. I am about 99% KP metal. They're also great about replacing anything like cords or tips that don't seem right.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
stherio Posted - 02/27/2014 : 5:39:53 PM
Did you get metal or wood?

Suzy
purlthis Posted - 02/27/2014 : 5:33:59 PM
Get the Knit Picks. I hated Boyes, and love the KP!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe