Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Movies / Articles / Celebrities / Books / News
 Call the midwife

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
minh Posted - 04/29/2013 : 4:10:42 PM
As much as I love that show, am I a bad person for being irked that they showed a crocheted blanket and said it was knitted? They did show several of the actresses actually knitting (one with double pointed needles because she was making a toy) and also seaming the squares together. And I love seeing the lovely sweaters of the 50's and heirloom baby outfits :)

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rwats2 Posted - 03/11/2014 : 12:33:08 PM
Really cute
eldergirl Posted - 03/10/2014 : 01:07:34 AM
Nancy, the "Chummy Doll" is adorable

About the knitter in the show who looked discontented with the knitting? I think it is valid, because knitting was a necessity for many folks in those years. When I first went to Scotland in the late '50's, it was still very, very common. Socks, baby things, "jumpers", you name it. Not so fashionable as it became a few years later in the wild 60's ! I think it was sort of, " You gotta knit, but you don't have to like it!"

Can't wait for the new season to start!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
NastiJ Posted - 03/09/2014 : 1:44:03 PM
for the crocheters:
http://amysgurumis.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/chummy-pattern.pdf

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
robinstephanie Posted - 03/08/2014 : 10:46:33 AM
You, Minh? You're the anti-bad.

I'd have to give that "knitting" a scowl, myself. I just would want the producers of the show to be accurate; like spelling someone's name right in a book, respecting the craft. Maybe it's just I want more people to know more stuff about knitting, cause knitting's so important, right?

Anna, Bletchly Circle sounds intriguing. I just put it first in my netflix queue.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Rwats2 Posted - 02/26/2014 : 5:31:05 PM
Cannot wait for CTM to come back on. Getting patterns ready now.
Ruby Plaid Posted - 02/26/2014 : 2:29:42 PM
I love these shows. Though Susan in the Bletchley Circle knits, she didn't seem happy about it!

Midwife is a tear-jerker more often than not, though. so I have to watch it in small doses!

there's a show called Father Brown based on the detective novels and in it there is a young Swedish woman who works at the parish. She always wears really cute knit sweaters.

My knitting & crafts blog is here: http://www.spindyeknitlove.wordpress.com
eldergirl Posted - 04/29/2013 : 7:54:23 PM
Yes, it is a wonderful show for knitting from the 50's!

Another marvelous show for knitting is "The Bletcheley Circle"--a detective story with four women tracking down a terrible murderer using the code-breaking skills and all that they practiced at Bletcheley House 10 years ago during WWll. ( I mean, the women are now ten years older than they were when they met and worked during WWll.)

The knitwear was mentioned by the costume designer in a post-show bit, and said how interesting it was to work with the muted colors and different personalities of the women.

Smashing for knitters! And a very good show, too!

Anna

Life is beautiful.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe