Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Looking for a stiff knit stitch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 03/13/2014 : 12:07:42 PM
I want to knit a cardigan with dropped stitches on the back, but I want this project to have a knitted kind of waistband that will stay reasonably horizontal when worn. I especially don't want the back waistband to droop when the cardigan is worn unbuttoned.

I was thinking about attaching horsehair braid somehow (itchy!), and just now decided that a very firm knit stitch might do the job. Of course I may have to start and end rows of this firm stitch with garter stitch or something else. I don't know.

Linen stitch came to mind immediately, but are there any other stitches that someone here can recommend? I also know a couple different long-tail cast-ons, and so can use one of them, unless someone has another idea. As this part of the waistband will need to be bound off, some bind-off ideas will be helpful as well. I also don't know that linen stitch curls the way stockinette does?

Thanks!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ceil Posted - 03/20/2014 : 10:44:33 PM
I'm still thinking about this, but I think I may do plain old garter stitch. I tried twisting the stitches in garter stitch with this ribbon yarn and don't like the look. Plus, my samples have fewer rows of garter stitch, so I think, with about eight rows altogether I'll have what I need.

Ceil
flicka Posted - 03/18/2014 : 9:02:25 PM
This pullover looks like it could stand up on its own:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/diamond-funnelneck

Would this stitch work for you?

flicka
MuddyYork Posted - 03/18/2014 : 7:30:47 PM
Have you considered "kneaving" - where you weave yarn in and out of rows or columns. I seem to recall Sally Melville using this technique in one of her books I borrowed from the library. I think it would render the fabric inelastic.

Lizzy
Ceil Posted - 03/16/2014 : 08:15:06 AM
What I'm really looking for is a knit stitch that is firm, more than a cast on or bind off.

Ceil
BJ Posted - 03/14/2014 : 4:56:47 PM
I've been looking through Cap Sease's book. For a firm cast on, she suggests cable, alternate cable, chain, double long-tail, triple long-tail, and twisted loop. From her descriptions and instructions, it appears that cable cast ons are the firmest. You mentioned that you are thinking of using a garter stitch edging...all df her garter stitch-specific cast ons (e.g. German twisted) are stretchy. I hope some of this helps.

BJ
azblueskies Posted - 03/14/2014 : 07:22:02 AM
I hope you post a picture when you get it finished, Ceil!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Ceil Posted - 03/13/2014 : 7:51:43 PM
OK, let me answer both emails that have come in thus far:

I looked at Rosarian, but my project has REALLY dropped stitches; I mean huge loops that hang below the hipband!

I know nothing about Cap Sease, but guess my next web visit is to Amazon!

And a change of name: In Barbara Walkers first Stitch Dictionary, she calls it not Linen Stitch, but Fabric Stitch. It's on page 99 in her "blue book." My apologies. My heart sank when I couldn't find Linen stitch in the book's index.

Ceil
BJ Posted - 03/13/2014 : 4:51:10 PM
Have you seen "cast on, bind off" by Cap Sease? It has a wide range on both cast on and bind off stitches along with suggestions of which work best for specific needs e.g. Stretchy, firm, decorative, etc. I use the book for almost every project... It's a real treasure.

BJ
azblueskies Posted - 03/13/2014 : 12:17:34 PM
Have you seen Rosarian in the current issue of Knitty? It's not a cardigan but it does have dropped stitches and a bottom band...looks like it's rib but I didn't read the pattern. Liked it though.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe