Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Dyeing Basics
 Bleeding hand-dyed yarn: a tip

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 03/20/2014 : 10:59:20 PM
I bought some super-bulky yarn many years ago (with the intent of weaving a rug, but I don't think now that my loom would be able to handle it well), and shortly thereafter the shop closed. I recently got an idea for a knitted vest with this yarn, so I got out my US 17 circ (huge!) and knitted a sample. When I soaked it for blocking, it bled like mad! I'd already made the skeins into balls, but restored them to skeins again to give them a vinegar bath.

I've had this problem with other yarns before, and I thought I'd mention here that, while sometimes the bath didn't work so well, this time it did. The reason? I think it may be because I soaked the yarn in plain water for about two hours before putting it in the vinegar bath (instead of 30 minutes), then I let it simmer in the bath for another two hours, and then let the pot cool completely. When I turned the heat off, there was still a fair amount of dye showing in the water, but when the bath cooled several hours later, most of the color sucked back in. When I rinsed the skeins, they hardly bled at all.

I have some other yarn with a similar bleeding problem and think maybe I will try again and let them soak longer in plain water. Anyway, I'm glad to know there may be a solution to this.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 03/22/2014 : 12:47:58 PM
Thanks, Ciel. I have some vibrant purple yarn that bleeds really bad. I'll try this with the rest of it. (The part that didn't already bleed all over my project.)

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe