Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 looking for cotton-blend yarn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 03/24/2014 : 09:34:47 AM
I am looking for a durable cotton/synthetic-blend yarn, sort of a cotton version of Plymouth Encore, for baby blankets. So far, most I'm finding have more than 50% cotton and are just so heavy ...

Does anyone have ideas? I'm looking at the Kraemer Tatamy DK, but I'd like to find something with even a bit less cotton content. Also, hopefully, it will come in skeins of at least 100 grams so there aren't so many ends to connect.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
flicka Posted - 03/25/2014 : 9:22:08 PM
I used Jeannee yarn, by Plymouth, for a summer tee, many years ago. It was a nice yarn and I don't remember that it felt heavy. It is 51% cotton and 49% acrylic, so doesn't fall within your specs, but thought I'd mention it anyway!

flicka
ikkivan Posted - 03/25/2014 : 06:36:05 AM
Thank you, Nancy ... I have done that, which is where I found the Weekend; I do plan to review it again. I also am hoping for feedback from some of you who have used these yarns to learn your opinion of them. I always read the comments (if they exist) from folks who have actually used the yarn in which I am interested, because your opinions are valuable to me!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
NastiJ Posted - 03/24/2014 : 6:37:57 PM
quote:
Right now I'm looking for yarn with less than 50% cotton, such as the Weekend with 25% cotton (but easier to wind!).

you can search on Ravelry for a yarn comprising 2 fibers (you specify the ones you want) and then review the resulting list for the proportions:
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/search#view=thumblist&fiberc=2&fiber=acrylic%2Bcotton&sort=best

there are many shown with 40 and 45 percent cotton.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
ikkivan Posted - 03/24/2014 : 6:19:37 PM
No, Kim, I haven't tried that one, but it has too much cotton at 75% ... Right now I'm looking for yarn with less than 50% cotton, such as the Weekend with 25% cotton (but easier to wind!).

kbshee Posted - 03/24/2014 : 5:22:13 PM
Rowan Calmer is discontinued but you can find it around online and on Rav. Have you tried it?

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
ikkivan Posted - 03/24/2014 : 5:13:18 PM
Thank you for the reply, Linda, but I gave my opinion of that yarn under the Never Again forum. I haven't knit it up yet, just the winding process was a pain I never want to repeat; it was bad enough to really sour me on that yarn.

It's exactly the blend I want, which is why I bought it, and it feels good, but I guess I'm looking for one that is ready to use right from the skein/ball. I'm willing to try (and AM trying out) several types, and am looking for more.

auntlinda Posted - 03/24/2014 : 1:50:59 PM
How about Berroco Weekend Yarn?

http://www.yarn.com/product/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-berroco-weekend/

~Linda

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe