Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Knitters Book of Socks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tangneyc Posted - 03/31/2014 : 8:02:06 PM
So, I'm trying to knit my first socks with actual sock yarn. I've made some with worsted weight before. But I have a really nice fingering weight yarn, and I'm trying to find a pattern to follow. I'm finding all the patterns call for 7 stitches per inch gauge. Clara suggests, and I like the fabric produced at, 9 spi. (Between 8 and 10 was suggested for fingering weight). Any thoughts?

Cindy
Fuzzythinker on Ravelry
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tangneyc Posted - 04/01/2014 : 09:46:24 AM
Thank you Jane!! It is so much fun, but so much to learn and everyone seems to do it just a bit differently! Hickory is going in the queue next! Thank you again.

Cindy
Fuzzythinker on Ravelry
Jane Posted - 04/01/2014 : 04:54:44 AM
Ahhh... a newish sock knitter! Welcome to the dark side!

Most of the patterns in KBOS call for a gauge of between 8 and 10 stitches per inch, unless the yarn is a bit heavier than fingering weight. The first pattern in the book, Clara's Stepping-Stones socks, does use worsted. A few of the other pattens use heavier yarn, and it seems that the gauge called for also depends on how complicated the stitch patterns are. [insert shameless self-promotion] The socks that I designed, Hickory, use regular fingering weight at 9 spi, and I don't think they're too difficult for a knitter who's just starting to make socks.[/ss-p]

Whichever pattern you choose, take the time to do a gauge swatch just so you'll know if your knitting style gives you the right gauge. I've knit so many pairs that I can tell by looking at the pattern if I need to go up or down a needle size, but in the beginning, I swatched.

And remember, knitting is supposed to be fun!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
My Website: Not Plain Jane
My Ravelry Store: Jane Cochran

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe