Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Felting Talk
 General Felting Discussion
 Felting with fun fur

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 04/26/2014 : 3:54:24 PM
I know everything is relative, but I am wondering if I need to go up yet another needle size when knitting a wool yarn along with a strand of fun fur that will then be felted?

Fwiw, the wool I intend to use is Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted, and I tend to knit at gauge when using suggested needle size on the yarn label when I am not felting.

Thank you!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mertle Posted - 05/04/2014 : 05:40:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by anderknit

I would add that contrary to (my) logic, knitting more loosely results in better felting. I guess that if the pre-felted fabric is dense, there's less opportunity for the yarn to abrade and, well, felt. So go up to a needle size that gives you a nice loose fabric. Don't adjust for the fun fur itself, but for the fact that you don't want a dense pre-felted fabric.

Quite true, I found. My first felting ever was several swatches (believe it or not!) with several needle sizes. Loose fabric before felting is a must so the fibers can have room to move around and tangle up together.

Marilyn
My Bags
azblueskies Posted - 05/02/2014 : 07:24:23 AM
Cool....hope you'll post pictures, Ceil!

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Ceil Posted - 04/30/2014 : 7:06:06 PM
I'm designing a wine bottle cover that looks like a chicken!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
azblueskies Posted - 04/30/2014 : 07:28:16 AM
What are you making, Ceil? I made the hedgehogs with wool and fun fur and they turned out really cute.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
anderknit Posted - 04/30/2014 : 06:33:25 AM
I would add that contrary to (my) logic, knitting more loosely results in better felting. I guess that if the pre-felted fabric is dense, there's less opportunity for the yarn to abrade and, well, felt. So go up to a needle size that gives you a nice loose fabric. Don't adjust for the fun fur itself, but for the fact that you don't want a dense pre-felted fabric.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
eldergirl Posted - 04/30/2014 : 05:17:21 AM
I support Marilyn's notes to use 2 strands of the wool, and the fun fur, and big needles. Maybe size US11 or larger? (Marilyn uses US15)

The extra strand of wool makes for full felting, and lovely, thick fabric.

If you choose to use only one strand of wool, I would definitely go up a size or two...the felting shrinks the wool fabric. You may want to knit and felt a sample to gauge the size and the look and feel of the fabric.

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
mertle Posted - 04/29/2014 : 06:58:00 AM
I did LOTS of bags with 2 strands Patons Classic worsted with Lionbrand Fun Fur / Fancy Fur on a US15 needle. Most of my bags were done with 2 strands worsted on US15. Adding the fun fur wasn't a problem. The results were a nice felt with little to no stitch definition.

Marilyn
My Bags

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe