Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 government buildings in general

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
VioletHunterHolmes Posted - 07/01/2014 : 11:16:01 AM
In general I take my knitting, on wooden or bamboo needles, virtually everywhere I go. The exception is a place like the Wilshire Special District Office (don't ask).

I go in there, knitting in tow, not expecting a fuss. Security guard sees the needles, pulls them out, recoils.

"You can't take those in there. You must leave them outside."

Poor guy. First time around, I stayed outside with the needles, knitting. Second time, it was my mother who stood guard.

Yeah. Apparently I'm a homicidal maniac who can't trusted with a pair of knitting needles since I might let 'er rip and massacre the whole building on a whim.

All seriousness aside, I can understand the concern. Sort of. My own intentions might be peaceable, but what about the sleazy no-name shmo next to me? All right, point taken, no pun intended. On the other hand, a friend who crochets like nobody's business brings her work into government buildings on a regular basis. Nobody says anything, but then again the rules on contraband specified knitting needles, not crochet hooks. Oy!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VioletHunterHolmes Posted - 07/05/2014 : 09:59:00 AM
Yeah, knitting needles are pointy. I keep jabbing myself in the thumb with them, but mostly with the effect of developing a thick callus on said thumb (left, in case you're curious). Right, patterns. Hadn't thought of that. I do read a lot, though. Funny thing on the knitting needles: This entire last week, I've been to this one place for meals. The woman currently in charge does an excellent impersonation of the prison warden in The Shawshank Redemption. I take out my knitting needles, however, and she doesn't say a word. I see her looking at the needles, possibly a flash of fear in her eyes. (Knitting during those times is a passive-aggressive protest against a high grating voice, the strictness of a nun with hidden abusive tendencies, and the whole good cop/bad cop treatment ["Hon... Love... Don't want no one to..."]. Wow, she's had a flippin' Rhodes Scholarship!) As I said, though, she doesn't say a word about it. Okay, that's weird.
Rwats2 Posted - 07/03/2014 : 09:51:46 AM
I have that jury problem starting Monday morning. But, I have the problem solved. I have 1 scarf pattern with at least 200 to 400 and something rows in it, and a counter pane piece that has about 220 rows in it that are dying to be recopied by hand. I have already got at least 2 junior legal note pads at the ready to get that done. I debating if I should go and get another one of my patterns out that I think may need to be recopied. I copy patterns in my own hand so that can copy out the repeats instead of having to sit and figure them out, and end up losing my place. But, I will have a book with me as well.
SeeJaneKnit Posted - 07/01/2014 : 3:32:50 PM
But knitting needles are pointy! Even all those grannies could pierce skin and muscle with a knitting needle. Crochet hooks would be too dull for grannies.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe