Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Hello from NW Arkansas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
csmall4one Posted - 07/22/2014 : 1:36:42 PM
Hello, everyone! I am Sharon (csmall4one online) and live in NW Arkansas. I taught myself to knit when I was around 10 yrs old using pick-up sticks, string and our old encyclopedia. After Mom & Dad saw that I was serious about learning, they got me a skein of yarn, a pr of sz 6 needles, and an instructional booklet from our local hardware store. (Yes, back in the dark ages when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth, they actually sold those things in hardware stores!) ;-) I have been knitting to some extent ever since. There were a couple of times that I laid it down for a few years at a time, but I just couldn't stay away.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dschmidt Posted - 08/19/2014 : 6:31:40 PM
Welcome, Sharon! Great learning-to-knit story

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
vismajor Posted - 08/19/2014 : 05:37:01 AM
Hi there, Sharon, and welcome. I also enjoyed the visual of someone knitting with pickup sticks & string - that was very clever on your part. :)

And Marfa, this is so true: "And hardware stores are treasure troves of goodies & of things you don't know you need until you see them."

Amy McC.
Rwats2 Posted - 08/01/2014 : 07:47:24 AM
Welcome to the KR Boards from the great state of Louisiana. I really enjoyed reading your story. Using pick up sticks as knitting needles is really creative. I cannot wait to hear about all your neat projects.
donnawatk Posted - 08/01/2014 : 05:42:25 AM
Hi Sharon, Welcome from Chicago. Donna
marfa Posted - 07/23/2014 : 08:29:34 AM
How do.

Sharon, I love the story of you & pick-up sticks & your folks & the encyclopedia - that's just great. And hardware stores are treasure troves of goodies & of things you don't know you need until you see them. A good hardware store is such a pleasure.

Glad you have stayed with knitting & looking forward to your future posts.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
eldergirl Posted - 07/23/2014 : 04:59:41 AM
Hi, and welcome to the KR Forums!

What a great "beginnings" you had! In my childhood, hardware stores were the source of lots of household things. Luckily, I live near one in Baltimore that is great about stocking lots of stuff......but not yarn, sadly!

What do you like to knit? I am on socks at the moment.

So glad you joined!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe