Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 A Very Easy Guide to Cable Knitting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 01/27/2010 : 7:44:47 PM
At long last, a book that lives up to its cover!

This week's review is a tease because the book isn't widely available until March. But this way you know what's coming.

Here's the review

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 04/15/2010 : 6:42:00 PM
This book is now on my bookshelf and I've pretty much read it all the way through. I've knit only a few items with "real" cables (to me, that means using a cable needle), but have knit more of the "mock" cables, especially on sock and fingerless mitts. I personally can't have too many reference books, although, as Clara said, I did have to bookmark the page that told me what the symbols mean since I frequently kept turning back to it; I made a tab with a piece of tape.

What do you all do with "practice" swatches from books such as this one? Do you unravel them and use the same yarn over for practice, do you keep the swatches for reference, put them together for a throw, what? If I want to make a throw from my swatches, I need to make sure all the yarns need the same care. Hmmm ... I need to plan more for that rather than just using odds and ends of yarn on hand.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.
Schaeferyarnlover Posted - 01/28/2010 : 10:51:59 AM
I love cables too and will definitely check the book out of the library when it is published so I can look it over. Then I'll probably buy it. I'm knitting my first sort of self-designed sweater now,it's top-down with cables on the bottom third of the body,sleeve and collar.
GFTC Posted - 01/27/2010 : 8:15:09 PM
A new cable book is always a welcome addition to my knitting library.

I love knitting cables. To me it's the most satisfying knit and the FO is always something that I want to wear whether it's a sweater, hat, scarf, or socks.

I am about done with the back on my third cabled sweater in three months and I am always surprised how fast cables make the knitting go. It's because I always want to get to the next twist.

Learning to cable without a cable needle is a wonderful technique and I recommend learning this method to anyone who plans to knit a lot of cables.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe