Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Help! "Slouch" socks "Ruched"/tuck pattern

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SeaHorsie Posted - 04/20/2010 : 06:11:08 AM
size=2]I'll give as much info here without breaking copyright so that some sock knitting whiz's (I know you are out there! ;) ) can help me crack this code!

I'm knitting "Slouch Socks" from Anna Tillman's book Knitted Socks.[/size=2]
Sizes: CS (CM; CL; CXL; AS; AM; AL)

"Tuck" instructions: tuck4/5/6/7/8 insert right needle into next st as if to knit then through back loop of same st
4/5/6/7/8 rows below and knit two sts together.

I am knitting size CXL, , CO 66 sts. After knitting the foundation round, 44 sts remain

My problem/question is that the count of the stitches do not seem to work out with this following "Tuck round 1":

Tuck round 1: *Tuck4, tuck5, tuck6, tuck7, [tuck8]
0 (0:1:3:4:4:5) times, tuck7, tuck6, tuck5, tuck4, k3 (4:4:4:4:5:6), rep from * twice, tuck4, tuck5, tuck6, tuck7, [tuck8] 0 (0:1:3:4:4:5) times, tuck7, tuck6, tuck5, tuck4, k2 (4:5:3:4:6:5).

I am madly confused. I have been knitting for over 10 years (though new to sock knittig) and how in the world does that tuck round 1 come out to 44 sts? Also! - shouldnt the word "times" be at the end (right before the period) if the last instruction to "k2 (4:5:3:4:6:5)?

Please someone take pity on this math challenged lover of knitting!

Thank you!

Seahorsie
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ceil Posted - 04/25/2010 : 7:43:19 PM
I knoweth not a thing about this pattern, but it looks to me like the math may be wrong. If you are going to k2tog with a stitch several rows below, then you would still have 66 sts/rnd, not 44, ever.

I would check with the pattern company to see if any errata have been published. If not, tell them how you are struggling. There may be other knitters in the same boat.

Whatever you do, don't blame yourself. It's really easy to take the written word as THE authority, but we all need to consider that some of the details might be wrong and not our fault!

Hang in there,

Ceil

Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe