Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 button border and buttonhole border helpe please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sandra x Posted - 02/16/2011 : 11:44:21 AM
hi, this is the first time iv used a knitting machine so really new
i have loads of hand knitting patterns so i thought id do a baby cardie but no matter how i try the button and buttonhole border keeps rolling up, what i the right way to do this please
thanks sandra
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shalee Posted - 12/27/2011 : 6:38:01 PM
I agree with Steve. The only thing I'd do a bit different, if you only have a single bed machine is after knitting the "turn" row, go back, by hand and change each stitch from a knit to a purl. I know, a lot of extra work, but it does make a nicer edge for the turn. Then, when you bind off you would still have your normal edge to sew down by hand. example: Pick up necessary number of stitches, knit enough rows by your gauge to get about 1", then knit the row you would change to a purl row. After changing it to a purl row then knit another X # of rows like you did to get the 1". Don't forget what Steve said about needing matching buttonholes befor and after the turn round. Bind off. Then the button band/border won't roll once you sew it down, on the inside. Of course you need to do this on both sides, just remember to make the buttonholes on only one band, not both the right and left hand fronts of the cardi. You also might want to put a bit of stabilizer, fabric, inside the turned band that isn't the buttonhole side; that would be to attach the buttons and keep them stable.

It just so happens I've got a cardigan ready to steek tomorrow and then I will be doing my button bands, but mine will be all by hand, not machine.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

chiral Posted - 12/27/2011 : 2:41:43 PM
Sorry this has taken so long but I don't look in here very often.

Are you knitting the bands on a single-bed machine or do you have a ribber?

Are you knitting the bands as a long narrow strip?

If you have a single-bed machine you will need to make the band twice as wide then fold it in half lengthwise before stitching it to the garment. When you do the buttonhole band you will have to do 2 buttonholes (one for the inside of the band and one for the outside). These can be stitched around when finished to make single buttonholes.

It's so complicated to explain without pictures. I hope this is helpful.

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe