Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Cat Bordhi's Moebius technique

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stitchellen Posted - 03/17/2011 : 07:12:57 AM
I had been trying to find a copy of Bordhi's "A Treasury of Magical Knitting" and was stunned by the prices of used copies - in the hundreds of dollars - and grabbed a listing at $18.95 when it showed up. I then spent parts of two frustrating days trying to master the casting on technique and was ready to give up. Finally, after 11 PM the third day, it clicked and I stayed up until 3 AM casting on 390 stitches and knitting the first few rows. My problem with following her casting on technique was that Bordhi is a continental knitter and I am an English knitter of 70+ years. Using my left hand as the working hand is very awkward for me, and I wasted time trying to duplicate her method with my right hand. Impossible. My first attempt yielded a very uneven stitch, and there is a hole in it that I need to find a way to "fix", but after the casting on and the initial first few rows, the rest was a breeze. It is indeed magical. I proceeded on trust alone, because until the scarf was finally bound off there was no way to know that it would turn out OK. It did - except for that hole. The uneven central cast-on stitches blend in fine; the hole does not. Bordhi made a YouTube video of the casting on technique that I watched several times, but she is much too fast for me to get it. It needs to be in slow motion, but she zips along. My granddaughter asked me to knit for her the currently popular eternity scarf, but I don't like the way they just hang and wanted the way the Moebius lays flat.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ceil Posted - 03/22/2011 : 9:55:47 PM
You don't say where the hole is, but I usually get one next to the initial slip knot. A good way to avoid this (if this is where it is), is to tie a twist tie around needle and cable once the cast-on is finished. This will hold the yarn in place while you move the stitches up onto the left needle. As you knit your first stitch, pull up tightly on the yarn. Also, leave yourself a long-enough tail before casting on. You'll have something to thread through to pull up on that hole. Assuming this is where it is, of course.

When I teach the cast-on, I demonstrate it "up to tempo" first (and ask everyone not to freak!) so they can see how fast it goes. Then I do it in slow motion. Both seem to help, and several students go right to the cast-on with no problems.

And yes, it IS magical.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe