Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 knit machine half jams?! helppp meee lol

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
missangela85 Posted - 05/24/2011 : 12:46:30 PM
I have a domestic brother knit machine, standard size, and I havent used it in quite a while since uni so thought I'd try get back into it again. I bought a new carriage cos the old one was bit faulty. and now i've got a slight problem with the carriage going across the knit bed,

....it works fine from LEFT to RIGHT and works with ease without that 'grinding' noise that you sometimes hear, but when I knit the carriage from RIGHT to LEFT, it sometimes half jams, i say half cos it still manages to knit but with alot of effort and grinding, similar to the noise when it jams. I cant exactly knit one row with ease, then grinding and tugging on the next row and repeat a million rows until I've reached my desired length :S I've taken the carriage out and given it a good ol dusting and oiled the spin-cog things, ive cleaned the yarns from the spinning brush things, it seems to HALF jam, it also happens the more knit I've done, I've put some weights to hold it down, yet still half jams :S

anyone know what I mean? or know what to do? :S

Thanks

Angela
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
amoonsinger Posted - 08/06/2011 : 08:02:41 AM
If the machine hasn't been used for awhile the sponge strip/bar needs replacing. They only last so long then they start to go bad. They will go right to mush in the machine. So remove and replace the sponge strip/bar.

The sponge holds the needles in place for the carriage to run over properly. When the sponge gets soft it does not hold the needles right and they grind when you run the carriage, and the carriage cannot knit right. You can damage both needles and carriage.
ValerieG Posted - 05/31/2011 : 5:05:43 PM
This is a classic static issue.
Lots of things can help. More moisture in the air is the biggie.
a Dryer sheet under the yarn cone or stuck somewhere that the yarn can rub on it. (I personally, worry that this will ad gunk to the machine, so haven't tried it.)
There is a whole tread on the Yahoo machine knitting bulleting board
Bernie Posted - 05/25/2011 : 02:59:33 AM
How old is the sponge bar, that could be part of the problem. They deteriorate and it sounds like it's not keeping the needles in position. The grinding noise going from right to left is usually static. You can put a fabric softener sheet under the yarn and that usually helps.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe