Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Amazing Yarn by Lion

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
agnesgooch Posted - 12/11/2011 : 4:38:43 PM
I bought a couple of balls of this from Hobby Lobby. I made an earflap hat out of one of the balls and was not impressed. I can't really put my finger on the exact reason why I don't like it. I used all except for a few inches of one ball of yarn. The other ball I returned to Hobby Lobby. I never return yarn. Does anyone else have any opinions on this, too?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Margie Posted - 09/03/2012 : 5:55:44 PM
I'll have to look into Amazing. I like making hats.

Greyling, what a compliment to be called another WZ!

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Greyling Posted - 01/08/2012 : 04:13:22 AM
Holy cow, Agnes-batman, is right!

You are another Elizabeth Zimmerman. I hope you record all your patterns and make them available someday soon.

The accountant in me says you should make these available in the souvenir shops in zoos and art museums, and give yourself a big mark-up for your artisanship.

Thanks so much for sharing
knitgray Posted - 12/21/2011 : 10:06:10 AM
Your hats are wonderful. I'm envious of your co-workers! I'm sorry to hear that the zoo may be putting dress code in place. I would love it if at my local zoo, the workers could wear such beautiful hats.

Thanks for the heads up on the Amazing yarn. I've had mixed luck with the newer Lion brand yarns. I'lcross this one off my list
Panhandle Jane Posted - 12/15/2011 : 6:34:48 PM
I don't know anything about Amazing either, but the hats are wonderful!

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

knittenkitten612 Posted - 12/15/2011 : 12:19:19 PM
Agnes, I can't comment on Lion Brand Amazing ~ but your hats are absolutely incredible! Your co-workers are lucky indeed!
lella Posted - 12/12/2011 : 6:51:19 PM
Those are so gorgeous! You have definitely got a loveable bunch of hats for your co-workers. Lol about your not having an animal-themed hat for yourself at the Christimas do..

I love that Mother/Baby Elephant hat, but they are all just so great!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
agnesgooch Posted - 12/12/2011 : 6:38:57 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments. I give most of the away to co-workers. I work at a zoo, hence the animals theme. I have a rule: if you are an employee I will make you a hat, but if you want a hat for a relative, friend, non-zoo employee, etc. you have to pay. It takes about a full ball's worth of worsted weight yarn (Cascade 220, Paton's Classic Wool) to make a hat. I usually wait until Michael's has a sale on the Paton's and buy about 10 balls. I figure the money made on the sold hats pays for the free hats. I figure that comes to about $5.00 to make a hat and a few hours of my time, which I'm going to spend knitting anyway. People seem to really enjoy the hats (I guess the free part has something to do with that) and I enjoy seeing people wearing my hats, so it's win-win.

We're getting new uniforms in January with new appearance standards and the scuttlebutt was that they wouldn't be able to wear my hats. A bunch a the zookeepers were supposedly up in arms about that. I have heard rumors that they will be allowed to keep on wearing them.
We had our annual Christmas cookout last week and I showed up wearing the new uniform beanie. Someone asked what the hell that was on my head. Surprisingly enough, I do not have an animal-themed hat myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24181181@N07/
Ditzy Girl Posted - 12/12/2011 : 09:22:07 AM
I agree with purl and dot. The hats are amazing.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

dothead Posted - 12/11/2011 : 6:52:06 PM
I know you asked a question, Agnesgooch, but I also have to comment on your hats. They are fabulous.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
purlthis Posted - 12/11/2011 : 4:52:38 PM
Holy cow, Agnes! Those hats are aaaaaamazing! What do you do with them all?

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe