Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting and Smartphones

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pam B Posted - 11/15/2012 : 11:17:15 AM
So, after being exceptionally creative yesterday I got to thinking that maybe we could all share some cool apps and tips for those of us with iphones or other smartphones. I was on the bus coming home from NYC and reached overhead for the light switch only to find out that apparently none of the overhead lights would work. Gasp - how to knit? I didn't have my little personal neck light and I'm not good enough to knit in the dark. Iphone flashlight to the rescue. I just tucked that little sucker into the top of my camisole, pointing down on my knitting and created my own knitting light!!

I also just purchased Ann Budd's Knit Handy app and immediately put it to good use at the Retreat to see if a big bundle of stash yarn was enough for a sweater - it was! And btw, Ann made 4 cents from my purchase!!

So what apps do you use or what other handy tricks for your smartphone can you share? Kintting and technology - what a great combo!!
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
emmyc Posted - 12/07/2012 : 07:30:01 AM
NutmegOwl, I am indebted. I use drop box for work all the time and I've been complaining to myself that I can't store my PDFs in my Ravelry library!

You are a genius, and first beverage is on me next year in Canandaigua(should I get to go back!)

emmyc
winchester ma
woodsynitter Posted - 12/06/2012 : 11:56:40 AM
I use Ewe Stash on my iPhone, is also on iPad, but they don't sync to each other; so stick to iPhone. Both yarn and needle inventories and can upload picture of yarn. Very helpful when at the store.

woodsynitter
laceysusan Posted - 12/06/2012 : 11:11:53 AM
The Apple app I use most on my iPod is KnitCounter. It's good for those patterns with multiple patterns with varying repeats, like a afghan with 8-row cables and 12-row cables, etc. You can link the counters so if you click on 1, it will click on the other. And you can set a maximum of rows so it starts counting again and link it to a repeat count when it does it.

Learning curve is a little weird to set the repeats up properly (wish I could find help files) but I use it a lot.

I have KnitCompanion, but need to do the tutorials and get going. I've also purchased Lucy Neatby add-on for KC and looking forward to doing her stuff.
Janmarie- Posted - 12/04/2012 : 08:48:13 AM
1: Knitcompanion - I love it hard.

2: Yarma - it works great.

3: Altoid tins - simple yet effective. ;)

p.s. I have an older iphone, I have used Knitcompanion on my iphone in a pinch, but it's best on the Ipad.
NutmegOwl Posted - 11/30/2012 : 12:03:13 PM
Ceil, Dropbox works very efficiently for sharing files among groups when everyone looks at the tutorials and understands the differences between downloading files and moving files. Files that are moved out of shared folders do disappear from access for everyone. That's a user problem, not an application issue.

I use Dropbox for work and for pleasure. Used properly, it enables any amount of easy file manipulation, and even imports your iPhone and iPad photos to your Photo folder, should you wish to share them or download to another computer. Sorry your experience hasn't been a good one. I do recommend playing the tutorials.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
bonniebon Posted - 11/30/2012 : 04:24:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by treadwater

Has anyone used the knitcompanion app for iPad? I've played with it a little and can't decide whether it will be helpful or not. Thanks.

I use it often and love it. It is very helpful to watch the online tutorials before setting up your first pattern, but after that it's not hard at all. And, setting up the pattern helps me really read and understand the pattern before I start knitting, so it's not wasted time at all. It's particularly helpful for lace patterns with complicated charts. Highly recommended.
Daylily Posted - 11/29/2012 : 6:16:52 PM
I don't have an I phone but I use Altoids tins to hold the knitting supplies like the knitting markers that are round and metal, another one for the knitting markers that look like safety pins and the third one for the flat plastic markers. Each little tin is a different flavor and color on the lid. I carry them in a zip lock bag with the scissors I use needles for weaving ends with a paper print out of the pattern I am currently using. This works for me but may not work for very many others.

Daylily, another one tomorrow
churchlady Posted - 11/29/2012 : 10:26:28 AM
I wonder if some of these are just too complex and fabulous for an old lady like me. I love having Ravelry super-powered now that I have an adequate camera on my iPhone available for instant uploading all the time. I use Yarma because it worked right away with my iPhone5, which I moved to straight from my old flip phone, and my stash and project photos are up-to-date and even if they are not perfect, they are good enough.

I have been reading patterns and magazines on my iPad for about a year now, but I have only used a few basic stitch counter programs, I generally view .pdf's of patterns, and eventually end up using a paper copy, although not as many as I would have before. Some of your tips here, and poking around in the apps persistently, should help me get more out of my fancy hardware...

Live, Laugh, Love, Learn
spikeysandy Posted - 11/29/2012 : 09:31:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by treadwater

Has anyone used the knitcompanion app for iPad? I've played with it a little and can't decide whether it will be helpful or not. Thanks.

Yes, a thousand times YES! I use it constantly. Every pattern with a chart must be in KC or I don't knit it. You move your highlighter bar up each row as you knit and it keeps track of where you are, even after moving to other patterns when you return it still in place. I put on annotations to pop up when there are 'at the same time' instructions too. The key or abbreviatin list is always available at the bottom of the screen if you need it, but can easily be hidden too, as can the counters and pages across the top. Zooming is available on all pages too. I could go on and on, but its the best $ I've spent on an ap and I've used it since it came out.
Ceil Posted - 11/29/2012 : 09:16:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NutmegOwl

It's not a knitting app per se, but I use it constantly: Dropbox....

I wish I could get the hang of this. A listserve I belong to put a whole bunch of really useful files (non-knitting, but refer to my daily work) on Dropbox for everyone to use, and while I copied them all to my hard drive, someone else in the listserve dragged them to his or her computer soon after and of course they all disappeared. The moderator said she wouldn't re-install them if that happened. So I'm still trying to figure out the usefulness of Dropbox. At least it looks like it doesn't work when it comes to sharing files with a group. I wonder about how safe my files are if they sit there.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
hkpdx Posted - 11/29/2012 : 08:56:49 AM
I use Ravulous and the ravelry photo uploader on my Android. There's a ruler called Smart Ruler that I found when I needed to measure a cuff and didn't have my tape measure. I also like Color Wheel. I will be getting an iPad so some of your suggestions will be helpful.
treadwater Posted - 11/29/2012 : 07:47:32 AM
Amarula Posted - 11/29/2012 : 06:40:07 AM
And one more - the app Wooly. It links to my Ravelry info, so I can see a (condensed) version of my queue. Useful especially when you can't get enough bandwidth to download Ravelry (think Rhinebeck!), to check yarn requirements etc..
NutmegOwl Posted - 11/20/2012 : 07:42:54 AM
It's not a knitting app per se, but I use it constantly: Dropbox. I have all my patterns stored there. It allows me to access them on any device, handheld or otherwise, and I can move a current WIP pattern into "favorites" for local storage I can see without Internet access. So when KnittingKittens and I were driving home from the KR Retreat and I misplaced the pattern for the project I had, all I had to do was open it on my iPad or iPhone in Dropbox.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
lucybug Posted - 11/16/2012 : 3:54:46 PM
I use Vogue Knitting. I don't keep track of my stash or projects but I do have my needle inventory in it. It was a pain to enter it all but so handy to have when shopping. I've also used the glossary and how-to sections to help me remember how to ssk etc. (For some reason I have a mental block about abbreviations - things I've done a million times!) I also use You Tube for demos -- very very handy. I have PDF reader on my iPad but have only played with it -- haven't tried using it for a pattern though that was part of my justificaiton for getting it.
LRiff Posted - 11/15/2012 : 9:00:44 PM
I use one called Knitting Stash on my Android. The counter is handy but my favorite part is the needle and hook inventory. Makes it nice when I'm at the store and find some on sale. I have saved so much time and money not buying things I already have. I think I had a Lion Brand app, it was pretty much like their mobile site so I deleted it, but they have tons of cute patterns on it.

Really good topic btw!
jtamsn Posted - 11/15/2012 : 2:39:40 PM
Very creative use of an I phone, Pam. Especially since I dont have a smart phone.
judy
Jane Posted - 11/15/2012 : 1:40:24 PM
I went through a knitting app frenzy when I first got my iPhone, but I've whittled it down to three that I actually use: SimpleCount, KnitEvenly (an increase/decrease calculator that Dawn showed me at the Retreat one year), and Ann's KnitHandy. And I use the calculator, of course. I found I never used the project, needle, and stash apps, and though the needle-sizer was great, it sat there, too. I purged a lot of apps when my music library needed more space.

I'd love to hear about other apps and tips!

Jane

And P.S. I also use GoodReader to store patterns. They're too small to really use on the iPhone, but on my iPad they're fantastic.

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe