Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 ChiaoGoo interchangeable set

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Naiad_Knitter Posted - 11/29/2012 : 08:47:34 AM
Thank you for the excellent review. I'm confused on one point.

Are the metal tips in the ChiaoGoo interchangeable set stainless steel or aluminum?

The article in today's Knitter's Review starts out by saying there is a choice of bamboo or stainless steel needle tips.

"ChiaoGoo offers two kinds of needle sets: those with bamboo tips and clear cords (called "Spin") and those with stainless steel tips and red cords (called "Twist"). "

Later in the article the metal tips are described as aluminum.
"Both the bamboo and aluminum needles have well-defined tips, the aluminum ones with a slightly more elongated taper than the bamboo."

Which did you receive when you purchased the kit with metal tips?

I can easily knit with stainless steel or nickel plated needles but I develop severe joint pain if I knit with aluminum needles. It doesn't matter if the aluminum needles is the cheaper Susan Boye type from a craft store or the expensive Signature needles that were introduced a few years ago. It the needles are aluminum, Arthur Itis stops by and messes with my fingers, wrists and shoulders.

I have the KnitPicks Options set with the metal tips and a Knitter's Pride set with wooden tips. I love both of these but love the case on the ChiaoGoo. I was thinking of gifting these to a friend, but not if aluminum!

One thing I have learned with interchangeable sets is to buy duplicates of the tip sizes I use most often. This serves two purposes - 1) more likely to have the size available when I want it and 2)I now have the option of knitting small circumferences in the round using two circs.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
catonconnie Posted - 11/30/2012 : 3:50:51 PM
I have used and loved Chia Goo lace needles for years. I have bought the complete set of the SS with red cables and love them. I know that they are made in China. However, I always support my LYS and she is too small in a small area to support inventory of many kinds. At least, I am supporting my LYS. By the way, she has plenty of sets and the shop is called Wooly Minded.
ikkivan Posted - 11/30/2012 : 09:11:22 AM
I would LOVE to buy USA needles if I could find any with which I enjoy knitting. Hiya Hiya bamboo are my hands-down favorites, and that's over Denise, Addi, Knit Picks, Kollage, Dreamz (ugh), Clover, Signature, Darn Pretty from Vermont (I don't like swivel and these are too sharp for me) and just about anything else. I also have steel ChiaoGoo in fixed circulars, but haven't tried the bamboo.

I spend too much time knitting to use needles I don't like, and I'm sorry, China or not, I have yet to find any that I like as much as the Hiya Hiya bamboo (I have fixed and interchangeables). I keep trying to find the "perfect" needle and have learned that no one type fits all my needs. I could open a needle shop, I suppose. Even though I have many metal needles in many brands and often begin a project with those, I soon replace them with bamboo or wood because the glare from the metal gives me headaches.

However, I certainly would prefer to buy USA if I ever can find any to suit me.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
anaid Posted - 11/29/2012 : 3:56:43 PM
you mentioned in the article for those of you who "push the needle with your index finger"...I do and found a band aid as a knitting thimble works well to keep from hurting the finger with some of the sharper pointed needles.
kipper38@msn.com Posted - 11/29/2012 : 3:30:09 PM
Please buy U S A made.
I imagine these needles are swell, but we ned to think of the shipping oil, and jobs for people here.

Knittin'Again!
tempeh Posted - 11/29/2012 : 10:22:11 AM
This is my own preference, and I have no intention of denigrating the choice of another. I find it difficult to choose another product from China when we have so many excellent needle sets made in countries that do not exploit their laborers or their trade agreements with the U.S.
spikeysandy Posted - 11/29/2012 : 09:18:12 AM
From the packaging: made of high grade stainless steel

I purchased the small set of the Twist stainless steel type. I LOVE them. So much that I purchased all the small sizes in the 4" length (only sold individually as extras) and an extra set of cables. Since I originally found the CG Red Lace needles I never use anything else unless the size is already in use! Best needle purchase ever and there are few I haven't used!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe