Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 another copyright question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 03/16/2013 : 3:23:41 PM
This has probably been on here at sometime, but I need a refresher course (frequently, it seems) ... I really do try to respect copyrights and wonder about the "legality/ethics" of lending my books and patterns to another knitter. I have never done this with a pattern I have purchased online and downloaded myself, but I have let a couple of knitting relatives or friends borrow one of my books or magazines. I have contacted designers for permission to make copies of their free patterns to give out for a small knitting group at my church. I wonder if my friends copy patterns from these publications I have bought.

I live in a small rural town with no library, so haven't checked this for myself, but I am wondering if public libraries have knitting books to be checked out. If so, I would think the chances are pretty high that many of the patterns contained in those are copied for later use.

How protective should I feel about lending these things when I have paid for them myself? I am usually considered very generous.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eldergirl Posted - 03/16/2013 : 10:36:19 PM
Libraries do have knitting pattern books to check out, Donna, and lending books out is OK too.

That's as much as I know, not having much legal knowledge. I know designers have raised this type of question, and you might see if you can look online for more information.

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe