Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 help interpreting 2 lines in a pattern

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tres Perros Posted - 07/03/2013 : 7:30:48 PM
Hi, I wonder if someone can help me interpret this instruction for a hat I am knitting, I have typed exactly as it is written on the pattern:
I have 80 sts left on the needles and I worked 36 rounds without decrease, NOW it says:
"then work together 2 stitches each 16 times on every 4th round,"
Does it mean I knit 2 sts together every time I come upon a 16th stitch? also if I do this on every 4th round, does that
mean that I just knit 3 rounds in between?
I am stuck mentally I think, I would appreciate the assistance, thanks in advance.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anderknit Posted - 07/04/2013 : 11:19:03 AM
Tres Perros, there's often nothing better than writing it out (or charting it, depending...) to "see" the pattern take shape. And of course, asking the KR team to help you out! Good luck, you've got it now.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Tres Perros Posted - 07/04/2013 : 09:58:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your assistance. This pattern was translated from German(http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hat-with-brim-3)You can see the English translation.Because I am felting this hat and I am so dyslexic with patterns and math I have difficulty reading their meaning sometimes, if a comma or something is missing all the worse!
I've re-written what was suggested by Chatty Knitter and it makes sense to me. I had to SEE it written down line by line to understand.
1.Knit 3 stitches then knit 2 together – place markers. This is a 20% decrease from 80 to 64 stitches—
2.Knit 3 rounds
3.Knit 2 stitches then knit 2 together, decrease row would take you from 64 to 48 stitches-This is a 25% decrease
4.Knit 3 rounds
5.Next decrease row, knit 1 stitch then knit 2 together, which will take you from 48 to 32, a 33.3% decrease.
6.Knit 3 rounds
7.Next decrease row that follows this formula would be knitting two together all the way around, going from 32 to 16 stitches, or 50%.
8.Knit 3 rows
9.And again, knit two together all the way around, going from 16 to 8 stitches. Then draw these last stitches together to close the crown. (Pattern calls for having 8 left).
Thanks again!
dschmidt Posted - 07/04/2013 : 08:55:47 AM
Placing stitch markers where you need to decrease will help you keep track of where to decrease on the 4th rows.

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Ditzy Girl Posted - 07/04/2013 : 07:10:05 AM
Tres Perros the answer to your question is Yes. You are correct in what you wrote.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Tres Perros Posted - 07/03/2013 : 11:37:44 PM
thank you so much for responding. I am going to study your message in the am as I am falling asleep right now.
OB1Gnomie Posted - 07/03/2013 : 11:28:51 PM
It sounds to me like they want you to do 16 evenly spaced decreases every 4 rows, for the crown shaping. You would work three rows without decreases between each decrease row. This is a 20% decrease from 80 to 64 stitches by knitting 3 stitches then knit 2 together. The next decrease row would take you from 64 to 48 stitches by knitting 2 stitches then knit 2 together, which is a 25% decrease. Next decrease row knit 1 stitch then knit 2 together, which will take you from 48 to 32, a 33.3% decrease. The last decrease row that follows this formula would be knitting two together all the way around, going from 32 to 16 stitches, or 50%. The instructions probably say to draw these last stitches together to close the crown. This type of shaping is pretty standard for hats. Hope this helps.

...there was nothing wrong with her a good dose of distance wouldn't cure. - A. Christie

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe