Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Hello

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Knitbead Posted - 01/04/2014 : 11:51:27 AM
I am a 78 year old grandmother of five. I was taught to knit, crochet and cross-stitch by three maiden ladies who lived several doors down from my house. I am forever grateful for their time and patience. It was during WW2, I was a latchkey kid and I spent many happy hours in their company. Thru the years I have knit a little of everything including articles, for babies, lace, fancy shawls, animals. Last Christmas I knit intricate socks for 7 daughters/granddaughters. The year before I made mittens from patterns by Anna Zilboorg that were both challenging and amazing. For the past 11 months I have been serving as caregiver to my husband of 58 years who has been diagnosed with brain cancer. Knitting is helping to keep me grounded during these roller coaster days. My family tries to allow me time each Sunday to sit and knit at my local shop, Cloverhill in Catonsville, Md. I am looking forward to being a member of this forum. Paula
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jtamsn Posted - 01/19/2014 : 2:09:15 PM
Welcome to the forums, Paula, from Maine. May you find some comfort in your knitting and from your new friends here on the forums. So nice that you have a supportive family as you walk along side your husband in his illness.
Judy
lella Posted - 01/18/2014 : 12:30:58 AM
Hello Paula, welcome to The KR from San Diego, California. This is the most lovely knitting place on the web.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
eldergirl Posted - 01/15/2014 : 11:08:42 PM
Hi Paula, and welcome to the KR Forums from Baltimore. My grandma taught me to knit when I was little, also during WWII. Actually i was a few years younger than you,, so the "lessons" consisted of my learning how to make center-draw balls of yarn from the skeins of "Beehive" or "Germantown" wool that was sold then.
I know you are working hard as a caregiver, and I send my best wishes for you and your husband. I'm also a caregiver for mine, who has Alzheimer's.
You are an experienced knitter! I think you will like these forums.
Best wishes,
Anna

Life is beautiful.
donnawatk Posted - 01/14/2014 : 08:51:26 AM
Hi Paula, Welcome from Chicago, I find that knitting take me to that inter-peace. I also learn to knit from a friend Aunt sitting on the front porch. I miss them, I often think if they could see me now.Donna
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 01/14/2014 : 06:52:29 AM
Welcome to the KF, Knitbead! U sound like a very experienced needle crafter. Glad u have joined us & hope u decide to stay.

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
The more, the merrier!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!

robinstephanie Posted - 01/08/2014 : 09:56:29 AM
Hi Paula, welcome to KR. That's a lovely story about the women who taught you needle crafts. I've taught my niece a little bit, and it feels wonderful to be able to pass along a little bit of what I know, especially since I don't have any kids of my own. They sound like wonderful women who gave you knowledge and skills that have clearly been dear to you over the years.
Which socks did you knit for your granddaughters?
I'm very sorry to hear about your husband.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe