Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 Sweater on the needles---again.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ruby Plaid Posted - 02/26/2014 : 2:00:37 PM
2014 is going to be the year that I successfully complete a sweater. And by that I mean one that actually fits the way it should. :) I'm knitting the Armande pattern from the fall Knitty in green heather Cascade 220. So far it's going well so, fingers crossed!

My knitting & crafts blog is here: http://www.spindyeknitlove.wordpress.com
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yarnlover Posted - 04/17/2014 : 05:26:05 AM
Oh, I agree on using a bulkier yarn. My first attempt using a fine yarn for a lifeline ended up much the same... and did defeat the purpose. Glad you mentioned this, robinstephanie.

See My Stuff: Here

robinstephanie Posted - 04/16/2014 : 08:41:23 AM
I used a lifeline as yarnlover describes it on my first piece of lace and it saved my hide. I'm starting my next lace soon, and will use the lifeline again.

I found it easier to pick up the stitches from the lifeline if I used a significantly bulkier yarn than the one I was knitting with. At first I used a lighter weight lifeline and the stitches tended to unravel a row with the lifeline still inside them. I could pull them back up, but it was nerve-wracking, and kind of not the point of using the lifeline in the first place. Switching to a bulkier yarn helped.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
yarnlover Posted - 04/13/2014 : 07:58:51 AM
The lifeline isn't actually knit up with a row. Instead when you have a row that is correct, put a scrap yarn, preferably a different color and a little more slippery than the working yarn, on a tapestry needle and thread it along the needle into the stitches on the needle. The line will be a holder for those stitches as you add more rows.

The lifeline is somewhat longer than knitting so the ends just hang out on both sides. If later in the knitting you have a problem, you can easily go back to the good row with the lifeline and re-knit following rows.

I usually put a lifeline every 10 rows or so, especially on lace and when I come to the third one, I'll pull out the first one to use that piece of yarn again. I resisted using a lifeline for a long time but when I had to completely frog a piece of lace knitting since I just couldn't get back to a correct row, the value of the lifeline became very apparent.

See My Stuff: Here

MuddyYork Posted - 04/12/2014 : 2:45:10 PM
My lace experience is minimal and frustrating. I am just back on the needles after a long absence and came across something called a lifeline - waste yarn knitted up with a row of lace which you can frog back to - which was new to me. Has anyone tried it and does it really work-especially with those yarn over rows?

Lizzy
lucybug Posted - 04/01/2014 : 07:21:24 AM
Thanks RobinSteph....lace is something I just haven't conquered yet though I love it. I've made a few projects using intarsia, made several aran-cabelly projects, and just finished a sweater with fair isle so I'm not totally incompetent. But this stupid sweater sure makes me feel that way. At some point I will take a class or do something to help me get past this roadblock.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
robinstephanie Posted - 03/31/2014 : 5:57:58 PM
Oh, Pam, what a bummer. But man, did you ever give it an honest try. This may be a sweater you try again in another year or so, with a different yarn, and perhaps some lace items in the meantime for practice. Maybe with a different yarn, it will be a go. Then again, perhaps that pattern is a bad memory and good kindling. (:

Ruby, how's your sweater coming along? That pattern is super cute.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
lucybug Posted - 03/27/2014 : 08:29:57 AM
All right - I've thrown in the towel. The yak yarn sweater that I started so many times I wore out that section of yarn has defeated me. It's top down, in the round. I've made several sweaters using that technique. The yarn is lovely -- a yak, bamboo, and silk mix that is very faintly verigated. The killer is the front panel that has cables, bobbles, and lace. Cables are no issue as I've done a million and the bobbles normally aren't an issue for me but I couldn't get my needle through 4 stitches no matter how hard I tried. So my new plan was to just leave out the bobbles.

The lace part is another story. This is only my second time knitting lace. The first was a 4 inch stripe of lacework on a sweater and that was a struggle but it turned out OK. However, on this one I kept making mistakes and when I tinked backwards I screwed up the YO's on the row below and made a mess trying to fix it. I started over a couple of times and gave up.

I tried again with just cables, but that looked stupid, so ripped back again. If I didn't love the yarn so much and had so much money invested I would have burned the yarn and pattern in the fireplace and done a little dance to the knitting gods for better luck next time. But, decided to make the sweater with just plain stockinette. Kind of boring but the yarn is so beautiful hopefully it will still look good.

lucybug Posted - 03/21/2014 : 08:10:05 AM
All right ladies -- you're inspiring me to pick up a sweater I gave up on. I bought some beautiful yak yarn at the wool market 2 years ago with a pattern for a short sleeve top. The pattern is pretty straight forward but I started it at least 4 times - to the point the yarn is worn out. Then I finally made some progress and made it to the point of making bobbles. I've never been intimidated by bobbles but these use 4 stitches and I could not get my needle through them consistently. Some I thought I had then I'd look at them a few rows later and found loose stitches. I tried using a smaller needle and even a safety pin and could not get it. Ripped it out and put it aside. I'm going to try again and just leave the bobbles out. It has a pretty lacy pattern so don't need them. Wish me luck!

Ceil Posted - 03/20/2014 : 11:03:17 PM
Welcome to the "Reknitting CLub!" I'm working on my second reknitted sweater, Jolien, and am writing about its progress over at Ravelry. My first reknitted sweater is the subject of the thread I started here at KR, titled Emotional Frog.

I hope you get what you want from your sweater!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
emmyc Posted - 03/18/2014 : 02:41:35 AM
You go girl!!

emmyc
winchester ma
jtamsn Posted - 03/01/2014 : 05:38:34 AM
Best of luck!
Judy
eldergirl Posted - 02/28/2014 : 4:49:53 PM
Atta girl! Good luck!

Anna

Life is beautiful.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page