Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Yarn with elastic in it

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CrystalCactus Posted - 06/18/2014 : 6:58:51 PM
I bought some yarn containing elastic in several harmonizing colors, thinking that I would make striped tube tops for my granddaughter. I was planning to use a simple rib (K1P1)on circular needles. Should I keep a normal tension? I knit continental style, but using my left thumb and index finger to control tension.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
azblueskies Posted - 06/26/2014 : 07:14:17 AM
I have some, too, but wasn't happy with the way it worked up. Ended up using it to make stretch bracelets for my granddaughter.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
strandedgirl Posted - 06/25/2014 : 12:33:32 PM
I have some of this yarn too, and have been hesitant to make my projects due to worry about the tension. Were you able to keep the tension even over the whole project? How did you keep from pulling it snug, henceforth stretching it out? Like Crystal, I am curious on how the elastic held up.

Thanks!

My name is Michelle, and I'm a yarnaholic.
CrystalCactus Posted - 06/23/2014 : 11:24:38 AM
Thanks! I appreciate your advice. The yarn is Cascade Fixation, and I'm very interested in how your socks turned out. Did the elastic hold up, and did you have to reinforce the heels and toes?
Ceil Posted - 06/19/2014 : 8:53:43 PM
Knit a swatch first. You don't say what the yarn is, but some time ago I knitted a pair of socks with Cascade Fixation. I don't remember now what the recommended needle size is for this yarn, but I do remember that it was quite a bit larger than the needles I wound up using to get small enough stitches.

Regardless of the yarn you are using, it's important to get the right size stitches for the type of garment you are knitting. K1P1 ribbing would seem to be more open then stockinette stitch, so for a tube top you want to make sure the stitches are small enough to provide adequate coverage.

If you remember that it is typical for ribbing in sweaters to be worked on needles two sizes smaller, you then know that using the needle size listed on the yarn label will make ribbing more open.

So your best defense is swatching and blocking. Begin two sizes smaller than what's recommended and if that doesn't seem to do it, introduce a smaller needle size again and knit for a while. Keep doing this until you get the results you want. Then block the swatch, as this will open up the stitches a little more.

HTH,

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe