Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Has anyone tried the new Forsyth 4 pitch combs?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
arianie Posted - 05/02/2006 : 03:22:36 AM
I saw a photo and description of the new Forsyth 4 pitch combs at http://www.woolcombs.com/ and has been curious since. I have the 2 pitch ones and I think they're very lovely to work with. I like the fact that they have included a hackle and a wooden case for the new comb set but am not sure of how they fare. It is made in lovely exotic jatoba wood.

Been lusting after it eversince I saw it came out.

Arie
http://arianie.blogspot.com/

my_lovely_tekoteko
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
La galloise Posted - 07/20/2010 : 05:35:43 AM
Oh boy,they look really good.........I'm not normally a "luster" !! but I think those are going to be top of my birthday present list(luckily it's in September)
Thankyou for putting the link online
Mary
Shelia Posted - 07/19/2010 : 07:49:54 AM
I've heard that they are selling the combs, no longer wholesale but will sell directly themselves. Try an email to them, or perhaps a phone call.

(I have their 4-pitch combs and love them, great weight, lovely woodworking)

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
ferret1 Posted - 07/18/2010 : 1:32:36 PM
Are they still selling them? Their website seems to not have been updated since 2009?

Vicky
http://www.ldsvenus-knits.com/Knit-Wit
ravelry - ldsvenus
KromGal Posted - 05/10/2006 : 8:31:02 PM
We used the Forsyth 4-Pitch combs (super fine) in Judith MacKenzie's Comprehensive Spinning workshop last week at MDSW. They are awesome, and are now her favorite combs! In fact, the S/F were made at her request. They do so much....dehair, blend, and even comb! Immediately cornered Morgaine from Carolina Homespun on Friday evening and had her one set reserved for me. (I got #9!) I have the Forsyth mini combs and love them, too.
KathyR Posted - 05/03/2006 : 4:54:50 PM
Good website you linked to, Arie. I like the mini videos they have on using their products. Helpful, even for those not buying that particular brand.

KathyR
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
arianie Posted - 05/03/2006 : 07:30:53 AM
Hi Davy

Yes I've looked at the Ramers but I wasn't really thrilled with the size. The minis are just too small and the Superminis are awkwardly large. I know many rave about the Ramer combs and that they're pretty and believe me as someone who appreciates pretty and well-made items it was a hard decision to make. One thing that draws into the factor is the size and the convenience. I have very small hands and I'd like to comb lots of fibers so I guess the trade in is either the size or weight. I checked combs from Contraman, Indigo Hound, Lani, Ramers (someone at the guild has them), Forsythe, Valkyrie so ended up with the Forsyth 2 pitch. They handles are comfortable and they were just the right size but like any other mini combs I can only do small batches. The Ramers were my second pick but the superminis were just too large although they're pretty and I have a problem with the handles they're flat, and angular intead of round and they're just a little awkward to handle (at least for me). I'm a practical person. I'd rather buy something I will use instead of leaving it hanging in a corner somewhere. Anything that's not used will have to go out the door. Looks like my carder is getting that way :-) I swear by the Forsyths; pretty and just the perfect grip so when I saw the new 4 pitch ones being made I thought they were just just perfect. Instead of 2 large combs it is a comb and a hackle, makes perfect sense when it comes to production jobs and heavy combing. And I like the idea of the Forsyth box; I have little ones that have curious minds and hands. Also I am a big fan of Judith Mackenzie. I think she's an awesome teacher (she uses and recommends the Forsyth). If the Ramers had a different shaped handle I'd probably consider. And perhaps not a tad too large. Just my 2 cents.

Arie
http://arianie.blogspot.com/

my_lovely_tekoteko
Davy Posted - 05/02/2006 : 9:42:27 PM
Hi Arianie, it's a nice looking set. I have ordered and impatiently waiting for a set from Alvin Ramer in Canada, the Super Mini Combs and an 18 inch hackle. I would have liked a larger set but my daughters have expressed an interest also, a bit of a compromise.
I was going to include the link to Fibrecombing but I see you have been there already. Hope you find the info your looking for, let us know how you get on please.

Davy

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe