Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Left-handed knitting
 Lefty = bicerebral

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Luann Posted - 12/06/2006 : 2:01:48 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6212972.stm

So - we think faster, according to this study. A link on the BBC site will also let you read that we are 'better in fights'.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
This is not a blog:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
knitting fairy Posted - 07/14/2007 : 5:14:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Angelea

Sadly this is kind of funny. I'm about as messed up as they come.

I can use both hands equally well which according to some makes me ambidextrous.

Angel

I think if you write only left-handed, but do things equally well with both hands, that actually makes you ambilateral. Lefties have to be ambilateral to survive in a world dominated by righties.
Also there is a difference between being left-handed and left-sided. You could be left-handed, but right-sided. It doesn't make you less left-handed than someone who is both left-handed and left-sided, but it doesn't make you ambidextrous either.
Lefties have a natural ability to write upside down and backwards. I used to drive my best friend nuts writing her notes she had to read in a mirror.

Knitting Fairy

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

It took me years and years of trial efforts to work out that there is absolutely no knitting triumph I can achieve that my husband will think is worth being woken up for. ~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much
lella Posted - 07/08/2007 : 10:40:31 PM
I'm a leftie with all things requiring the finer motor skills. Eating with halfway decent manners, Hand writing, Drawing and sketching-Pencil, pen and Ink, conte-and paints.etc. I can draw on a blackboard, however, with my right hand, and it's good.

I knit right handed. But in crocheting left handed, the patterns are right but just come out backwards. It all comes out all right in the end.

Our brains are more integrated, this has been proven in testing, I do believe we are better at fights, I KNOW that we think differently. Also in a fight, a shot that comes out of left field is a perfect punch. I am the only lefty in my family for a few generations back. DNA tests have not been performed. [:00][:00]

Lella
[IMG]http://www.geocities.com/zippianna/turtle.gif[/IMG]
My Knitting Blog
Momo Posted - 12/26/2006 : 9:07:01 PM
This stuff seems kind of obvious to lefties, don'tcha think?

(right hand knitter, leftie crocheter - able to knit leftie and crochet rightie!)

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog
queen of the east Posted - 12/26/2006 : 2:37:07 PM
My Mum was left handed, Dad was right handed, they produced three left handed daughters and one right handed son. I knit English style, throwing with the right hand, I crochet left handed. I curse right handed implements.

Ann in Montreal
Angelea Posted - 12/26/2006 : 11:18:41 AM
Sadly this is kind of funny. I'm about as messed up as they come.

I was taught by my grandma who as a child was taught to knit right handed (she's natually left handed) who then switched to left handed knitting as an adult. What I didn't realise until I saw pictures is this... She taught me to cast on right handed, knit / purl and close left handed. I have tried converting to right handed knitting (so much easier for patterns) but can't get it right despite the fact that I AM right handed! It usually ends up looking like a rat's nest that blew up (tension goes wonky)
I can use both hands equally well which according to some makes me ambidextrous.
My mother is left handed and my dad was right handed, seems I inherited both genes as dominant ones since I can't explain why I turned out this way.
I don't like to fight but I am very creative and think outside the box. I taught my kids to be the same way, to follow their own drummer instead of the flock. :)
One day, I think I'm going to sit my daughter down and teach her how to knit, should be fun since she's also ambidextrous. I bet I can pass on the curse of left handed knitting with right handed cast ons :P

Angel
yarnyamy Posted - 12/11/2006 : 5:33:01 PM
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lefties! (Proud to be one).

http://frottez.blogspot.com
knitterbug1023 Posted - 12/08/2006 : 07:30:19 AM
I'm a rightie but DH is a leftie. He is most disappointed because it looks like DS is going to be a rightie too (He's 16 mo so it's a little too early to tell). I emailed the article to DH so he can have a little more ammo as to why lefties are better (they are in their right minds after all!)

Robin

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.-- Augusten Burroughs
caroledward Posted - 12/08/2006 : 07:08:17 AM
I also write left handed but do just about everything else right handed. My third grade teacher was very determined to make me right handed and she almost did. Very interesting study and nice to know that we are being studied.

Carole
Queen Knitsalot Posted - 12/07/2006 : 2:40:47 PM
Okay-here goes-since the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body--well then--only left handed people are in ther right minds!!

I am left handed but cannot do anything except write with it. Most other things are done right-handedly--except hammering--my DH won't let me quit whenthe right arm gets pooped--just tells me to switch hands!!

Suzanne

I'm not crazy.....I'm colourful. Sounds better on a resume.
lucylocket Posted - 12/06/2006 : 10:02:27 PM
I'm a lefty changed to a righty when very young but am mostly lefty these days!I can write with both hands but knit (in a weird way)right-handed because that's the way I was taught.Interesting study - I also have 2 left-handed sons.I don't fight very often but love to do difficult logic problemshappy Knitting Lucylocket[meow]

My Pictures[http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucicat/]
busygirl Posted - 12/06/2006 : 4:00:24 PM

I always knew we "lefties" were special![!]

Seriously though,I have often heard it said that left-handed people tend to be very creative.

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
gwtreece Posted - 12/06/2006 : 2:23:12 PM
I knew it, jk. There is also an article that states we think differently.

Wanda
My Blog

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe