Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Mid-Gauge Machines
 Do I need a ribber?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
callwool Posted - 02/02/2009 : 2:43:53 PM
If I don't have a knitting machine for which I can purchase a 'ribber' will the sides of my projects curl?

Thanks
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
callwool Posted - 02/07/2009 : 11:16:05 PM
Thank you, Bernie, ValerieG and Lella. I will try some of the techines you suggested. ValerieG, thank you for recommending knitwords magazine. If anyone has any other suggestions for information or patterns please let me know.

I have my new knitting machine arriving in two days and I am so excited. I know I am to expect a learning curve for some time, but I just can't help being really excited.

Thanks again
lella Posted - 02/04/2009 : 6:56:33 PM
Depending on the size of your project, you can start with a ribbing by hand and then lay the stitches on your machine needles. I agree with ValerieG, I like hems best now. They are so much easier. But if you like ribbing on your garments, you can still do the other. I don't have a ribber either.

lella Zippiknits
ValerieG Posted - 02/04/2009 : 12:10:17 PM
Stockingnet curls unless you do something to the edges.
I find I'm not doing as much ribbing now, I tend to to hems. BUT some years I do a lot of 'double bed' (ie with the ribber) work. Then I love the ribber.
SO it depends on what you are knitting. Check out Knitwords magazine. Many patterns, some with ribber, some without.
Bernie Posted - 02/03/2009 : 02:39:40 AM
Hi: Depending on what you are knitting, it can still curl. Some people have done hand manipulated stitches on the edges and this will eliminate the curl, some have done an extra wrap on the edge sts and this helps also. On some afghans I've made, I've done single crochet around the edge and then did a row of crab stitch.
Hope this helps

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe