Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning gadgets and accessories
 Wool Combs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Charlie John Posted - 06/12/2009 : 1:45:56 PM
Hi! I'm Charlie and I'm new to both spinning and this forum. My question is dose any one know how to make a pair of Hand Held Wool Combs that would look nice enough for a co. fair? I'd love to just by a pair but the farmer in me says just make 'em. thanks for any feed back:)
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Charlie John Posted - 06/19/2009 : 1:54:21 PM
Thanks for both replies!! I'm going to try now just for the heck of it! Thanks:)
Shelia Posted - 06/13/2009 : 5:14:34 PM
Not having Peter Teal's book handy, I'm going to just answer with my own opinion, for what it's worth. I would be really reluctant to take on making wool combs at home, even though we make lots of things on our farm. Even in the "olden days" when wool combing was done by many more people than now, combs weren't generally made by people/farmers, they were made by blacksmiths in their slow (winter) times of the year. The tines need to be carefully made and sharpened, with no burrs, and often bent slightly depending on the style. The wood that they are set in must be drilled out, and the tines heated before inserting, which makes the tight fit as they cool. Too hot, and the wood is charred and ruined, too cool and they are loose, which is annoying and could be dangerous. It's a skilled process.

I know that some folks have made hackle-like objects with offset dog combs set into wood or another base, and the wool is pulled through them. I don't think that is is very efficient because the combs themselves are not very tall, and its difficult to firmly set them into the wood.

All that being said, I love all of my combs (I have several set in different sizes/pitches) and will be interested in hearing and seeing what you do!

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Kade1301 Posted - 06/13/2009 : 1:27:45 PM
There are very detailed instructions (drawings and all) in Peter Teal's book "Hand wool combing and spinning". I think it's also available on CD.

Good luck with the endeavour! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe