Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Felting Books and Patterns
 Mosaic Tasket Pattern help!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RedDragoness Posted - 09/23/2009 : 3:49:06 PM
I am attempting the Tasket pattern by knitkit.com, Janet Scanlon pattern. I am trying to make the bag as pictured on the front of the pattern. My problem is this:

The directions, on the page with "Note: Adjust yardage of contrsting colors as required." state, "To create the photo design, omit the 5th, 6th, 11th and 12th line on the chart.

I have read in Barbara Walker that I should not have more than two rows (work # row once forward and one back on same line of chart). I am so confused. I can't figure out how to make the pattern come out right so I can make it like the picture.

I have tried removing line 5 and line 11 on the chart. Line 3 and 7 are white. Line 9 and Line 13 are black. I have to switch colors every other line on the chart, don't I??

Can anyone tell me how to make the Tasket pattern as pictured on the pattern front? I have emailed Janet Scanlon and she replied that the directions were correct and to ask the LYS about the problem. There are no LYS in the immediate area. The only shop that carries yarn that isn't cotton washcloth yarn is owned by a woman that I am teaching to knit, go figure. I am in very, very far North Vermont. The highway signs change to french before you get to our exit. That's how close I am to Canada.

Please help me, I have been wanting to make this pattern for 2 years but have hesitated because I really want to make it as it appears in the picture. I need to plan out projects now before the snow hits and I am stuck with nothing to do, lol.

Thanks in advance,
Anne

You left us too soon.
Jamie and Caitlin 01/11/08
I miss you both so much.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
fmarrs Posted - 09/25/2009 : 09:47:04 AM
I only did it once and then thought that it was too complicated for the results achieved so I rewrote the pattern my own way and it worked much better. I wouldn't attempt it now. It was a 2 color mosaic pattern but the 2 colors changed as you worked down the row. I worked it for about 6 inches then changed it. Instead of following directions, I crossed the different colored yarns at the intersections so from then on I was actually only working with 2 colors at a time in a section.

fran

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
mertle Posted - 09/25/2009 : 07:48:23 AM
Anne, I see why youíre puzzled. I would be, too! Iíve done quite a bit of mosaic knitting on my bags (examples of basketweave here and here).

Iím not at all sure the exact basketweave pattern used in the Tasket pattern, but click here to see what happens when I delete rows 5 & 6 and 11 & 12 in the basketweave pattern I use often.

Youíre right about the rules of mosaic knitting. You just canít go 4 rows with the same color yarn that I can see. Comparing the Mosaic Tasket shown here with this bag, Iím not seeing where she left off any rows anyway.

Iím afraid Iím not much help with your particular pattern except to offer some empathy as to your puzzlement. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Now, Fran, I want to hear about your doing mosaic with up to six colors per row! Sounds like it would be worth a thread topic all by itself!

Marilyn
My Bags
fmarrs Posted - 09/25/2009 : 03:21:28 AM
It sounds like your problem is in understanding the technique of mosaic knitting. Like most things, it is a simple technique once it is well explained. There are a lot of good tutorials on this subject on the web. Here is just one of them:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATslipstitch.html

It includes a basket pattern which may very well be the same as the one you are using for your tasket. The secret of mosaic knitting is that you are mixing 2 colors but doing them one at a time so you knit across with one color, knitting only the stitches in that row that are that color and slipping the rest. Then knit back with the same color, then knit across with the second color and slipping the rest. then back with it. You always use a color twice.....across and back.

I have seen assorted basket patterns but the only difference with them is the number of stitches lused.

I have worked mosaic patterns with up to 6 colors in a row but it is not necessary to discuss that here.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
KathyR Posted - 09/24/2009 : 3:29:24 PM
I'm not sure that I can be a lot of help as I don't have the pattern in front of me and only have a photo of the bag.

My understanding of mosaic knitting is that you work each row using one colour in one direction then the other colour going back.

You have stated that The directions, on the page with "Note: Adjust yardage of contrsting colors as required." state, "To create the photo design, omit the 5th, 6th, 11th and 12th line on the chart.

However, it sounds as if you have tried to only omit line 5 and line 11. Line 5 is only one part of a row - it needs to be completed with row 6 just as row 11 needs to be completed with row 12. Have you tried to omit rows 6 and 12 as well as rows 5 and 11?

Perhaps you could try a small sample of your chart and work up a swatch omitting these rows (photocopy the chart, cut the lines out tape the chart back together again to make it less confusing) to see how it would work out.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe