Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Needle Felting
 I have a few question on needle felting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kemer Posted - 12/08/2009 : 3:42:20 PM
I watched a show here on TV called Cultivating Life ,showing a man and woman needle felting a lamb or sheep and I thought “I wonder if I could do that”

I have a few question on needle felting maybe someone can answer these for me.

Tools: what do I absolutely have to have to start this craft?

Yarns: what can I use and what can’t I use (on the show they were using wool from a skein) But researching online all I see being used is roveling wool?

Core: is batting material except able for using as a core/center of a piece like a teddy bear , and then needle felt the wool around that?

Wire: when using wire do you just start wrapping the wool around the wire and then needle felt?

What is ‘Wet’ needle felting?

Some needle felted teddy bears l have seen ,the felting looks very tightly packed ,how is that done?

Can I needle felt on Jeans?

and finally, are the needle felting instructions different from small projects to larger projects or are they the same?

I have an Aussie and would like to try my hand at making a needle felted dog that looks like her.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kemer Posted - 12/26/2009 : 12:12:10 PM
I think I like this needle felting thing. Now I now what to ask for next year for Christmas . A better camera, every picture I take comes out blurry.

I made a needle felted cat last night

Kemer,

Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
yarnlover Posted - 12/25/2009 : 09:18:54 AM
Your little purple bear is cute. Somewhere I have a photo of my first bear, I'll see if I can find it. It takes a fair amount of practice, this is sculpting using fiber, so not as easy as one would think. Keep with it if you like it - I don't spend as much time on needle felting as I would like, but I have a lot of wool roving just waiting to be used and plan to squeeze more time for practice this coming year.

See My Stuff: Here

kemer Posted - 12/25/2009 : 08:00:51 AM
I saw your username on the felting site. Thanks for your help. I finally made an attempt to needle felt , it is not very good at all, but it does look like something I posted a pic in my flickr photostream page

Kemer,

Keep Christ In Christmas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548372@N02
yarnlover Posted - 12/13/2009 : 08:01:29 AM
That's it. Join up and browse through the needle-felting section and you will find lots of information on wool, needles, techniques.

kemer Posted - 12/12/2009 : 8:21:00 PM
Thank you yarnlover, I just went and googled Needle Felting forum and found www.feltingforum.com is that the one?
yarnlover Posted - 12/12/2009 : 5:34:40 PM
Usually when you buy needle-felting needles, they come in some kind of packaging that codes the size, or sometimes the handles will be different colors, one for each size.

The higher the number, the finer the needle. I use a #36 for most of my needle felting, which isn't a lot, but I've done some small items and bears. I believe the finer needles, the #42 & higher are for finishing, and sometimes the needle choice depends on the wool being used also.

I have some information on all of this, but not at hand. Try googling needle felting and you will probably come upon a number of sites with various bits of information, or go to amazon.com and search for books on the subject. I know there are a lot of them out there.

Information is available, you just have to search a bit for it. There is a forum devoted to felting, I belong, but I can't give you the url off the top of my head, since I use a bookmark and don't pay attention to the name. But if you google felting forum, I'm pretty sure it will pop up for you.

kemer Posted - 12/12/2009 : 1:00:24 PM
I order some roving wool from online , it came with 4 needled. Their make as Coarse, Medium, Fine and Star. How do I know what size they are(32,40,42)?
kemer Posted - 12/09/2009 : 4:30:49 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with my questions. I ordered some needles and wool online today and I can't wait to give it a try. I found this lady on YouTube.com that makes people and it really has me psyched to get started!
purlewe Posted - 12/09/2009 : 12:23:36 PM
The very basic things you need? Felting needles, a foam core, and wool.

I would start with something basic. Have you ever fulled a purse? you could embellish it with wool yarn. I always thought those were really smart looking.

Sheep wool has alwys worked best for me. But any animal wool should needle felt. I know people who use their own dog's hair to make wee little doggies that look like them.

I am not sure about what you would use for core. I was always under the assumption that the wool was all the way thru the object.. but I could be wrong.

I have never used wire with needle felting. I have a feeling I would do wet felting to the wire and then shape it.

Wet felting is when you use very hot water, some soap, and abrasion. You could do this with a bucket and rubber dishwashing gloves.

The tightly packed things you are seeing are how many times someone has stabbed the wool with the needles. The more you do it the more tightly packed it will become.

You could needle felt on jeans, but I assume you will need something for the wool to lock onto on the other side. perhaps some wool roving. then you could cover it with a patch on the inside.

I think they are the same.. but I always say start small! I googled needle felting project and came up with several free ones. Give it a try. It is very fun!

My mother made me a homosexual.
And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://purlewe.typepad.com/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe