Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Ebay Addict
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  9:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
I recently discovered the wonders of buying yarn on ebay. I'm so addicted. I check every day now to see if there is a deal on something I want. Must stop.... but I must say I got a good price on some Rowan Kid Classic in a great green color (Imp) and some noro kabuto that was a steal as well. It's like elann.com on crack. I just have trouble passing up a deal. At this rate I'll have to take over a closet for my stash sometime next year. Yikes I need a no ebay for one month club.

-Amber

A friend will help you move..
A really good friend will help you move a body.

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  10:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Amber, I became addicted to buying yarn on eBay last summer. The yarn is is the best of the designers and the people you deal with are wonderful. The deals go without saying - Colinette Ab Fab kit for $88! I am on the East coast and I have received yarn from England faster than yarn from Elann. I have taken over a closet for my stash but I consider it not so much a stash as a private yarn shop adjacent to my bedroom, especially since eBay is actually allowing me to buy the newest and best yarn at prices equivalent to wholesale. As a result, I have done more knitting in the past 6 months than I have in years and years and truly love everything I have made. Good Luck bidding!
P.S. check out Overstock.com for knitting books. They are using books as a loss leader & the prices are incredible and their shipping cost is minimal on books.
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  11:06:39 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
GFTC-- Is *that* why Overstock's books are so inexpensive? I wasn't quite sure why. Some of the books are very old (and I assumed were actually leftovers from other places), but then they get new things at incredible prices :) I was just eying some books there the other day :)

Amber-- THIS is why I avoid e-bay-- I just don't think I have the strength :)

myshelle
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  11:22:45 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
Yes - I am an Ebay addict as well. I started by collecting old Enid Blyton books, then Thomas the Tank Engine books for my son, then I discovered the knitting section, well

I have also corrupted my best friend's husband who now regularly gets ebay parcels delivered home (she blames me) and as for my DH - well he discovered the computer bits and pieces section but no, nothing that small - he has been buying up servers - yep, our home office now has 2 !!! servers, along with monitors, oh and of course a giant 7 foot computer 'rack' (like a glass front cupboard)to hold all the beasts, printers, etc.

Still - he never complains about the books, needles and yarns

Diana
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  11:25:09 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
quote:
They are using books as a loss leader & the prices are incredible and their shipping cost is minimal on books.

I agree - the prices are amazing but sadly they wouldn't ship to Aus unless the order was a minimum of US$100 and even then, the shipping costs were astronomical

Diana
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  08:28:45 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Me too. I discovered ebay some years ago and half my wardrobe is now ebay wins. I have bought cashmere sweaters, Ferragamo shoes and Coach bags at ridiculously discounted prices from sellers who know a good bargain at the outlets.

I've also bought some outlandish stuff, the largest being a Jotul wood stove which I had to pick up in person. Thanks to my wonderful Steve we hauled that baby back to MA and it's what kept us from freezing to death last winter.

Yarns make for perfect ebay items. You can usually check what normal retail prices are and get a good idea of colors (I also check my LYS), shipping is relatively low and there's no danger of breakage. (I once bought a ton of lead crystal glasses from Canada which came heavily packed in bubble wrap, styrofoam and paper. Everything arrived in perfect shape, but shipping was outrageous.)

It can be addictive but after you've bid and won a few things, you get the hang of it.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  10:52:38 AM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
I LOVE ebay!!! even if I'm not bidding on something i am there *window shopping* at least once a week I have gotten yarn clothes cds dvds out of print videos and assorted little items. They have so much fun stuff there.
dang now you all got me wanting to go there

life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away
Go to Top of Page

2jhy@mail.com

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  11:26:34 AM  Show Profile Send 2jhy@mail.com a Private Message
Agree there are some great prices on EBay.
However (sorry to rain on the parade), I believe some sellers are offering seconds without noting this in description. BEWARE OF YARN SOLD WITHOUT LABELS.*

Ex, bought some Lion Homespun which looked OK (never used that color before). 80% of the skein was comparable to the Lion catalog & website. But the color on last part was VERY "off". Made myself a neckwarmer from the remnant of a skein: One end is koenigsbleu & teal, the other is rust & burgundy!!! I found this flaw in all 8 skeins.
Similar issues with a different purchase.

Doesn't matter much to me on a little scarf--actually, kind of useful having alternative "faces"--but color inconsistency can ruin desired effect, especially on large projects.

*Many manufacturers sell seconds at discount after removing brand marks, that's why I mention the missing labels.
Have fun, but be careful.

Happy Holidays! season's greetings from sf, ca
Go to Top of Page

oneangel77
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  12:07:11 PM  Show Profile Send oneangel77 a Private Message
Me to! Me to!

I love ebay...my b-friend tells me that I am totally out of control with my ebay yarn wins!

I can't believe the prices I get on some of the yarn...and there are a few sellers that are my favorites so I always know I am getting yarn from a reputable seller.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  12:08:27 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I am homebound and did all my Christmas shopping on Ebay. Around 100 different items and only one was not as described--a sleeping bag which although in perfect condition obviously had been washed. One item was lost in the mail and my money refunded. Altogether a pleasant experience.

fran
Go to Top of Page

whimsical
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  1:00:54 PM  Show Profile Send whimsical a Private Message
I'm an eBay addict as well!! Started off with Beanie Babies in the late 90's and now it is yarns!! You can get the best prices on Colinette yarn on eBay...half off retail in most cases. I just won a Colinette Ab Fab kit on eBay for $85 which (even with the shipping from the UK) is the lowest price that I have seen!! I would love to expand my knitting needles with some Addis but the auction prices are about the same as my LYS.

Rosa
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  9:48:35 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I've started deleting my "saved search item found" e-mails. I can't afford to look anymore, 'cuz looking invariabley leads to buying.

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!
Go to Top of Page

Knitterbugs
Chatty Knitter

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  07:14:10 AM  Show Profile Send Knitterbugs a Private Message
I just started looking at ebay two nights ago. A woman at work was telling me about all the yarn and needles on there, so I checked it out. This is going to be really bad for my budget.

~Pam

Knitterbugs
http://journals.aol.com/knitterbugs/knittingblog
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  08:19:52 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Diane,
Is your husband a clone of mine? LOL! We have to move so he can have more of a room for computer stuff - now it's stashed in boxes in closets all over the house. Weird old stuff too. I swear his goal in life is to open a computer museum - full of archaic, but working models!
Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  09:39:50 AM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
I am getting an ebay gift certificate from my mom for Christmas.... she gave us our dog for Christmas actually but wanted me to "have something to open on Christmas" and asked me what wouldbe a good store to buy me a gift certificate for yarn at. I told her eBay was where I buy the majority of my yarn so she said that would be what she will get me! I have already been thinking about what I want to get with it... Regia sock yarn -- something I really want but hate the idea of spending $12-16 for yarn to make a pair of socks (most places) but know I can find cheaper on eBay!!!

Oh the joys of the internet shopping!
karen
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  11:04:52 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I know what you mean. I love ebay myself and spend too much time and money there. It is sure fun though.

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  2:44:11 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
quote:
You can get the best prices on Colinette yarn on eBay...half off retail in most cases

Oh no - Credit card alert. Colinette is hard to source in Australia - I have only found one retail outlet across the other side of the country but on Ebay . Well even with shipping from the UK it is heaps cheaper .... Thanks for that GFTC

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  11:58:09 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
EBAY...EBAY...EBAY...EBAY - BETTER THAN THE MALL!

Vanessa

"Children learn by watching & mimicking your actions, not by listening to your 'words of widom'."
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  2:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
So it's safe to say I'm not the only addict? (can you hear the sarcasm?)

-Amber

A friend will help you move..
A really good friend will help you move a body.
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  06:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message
I'm so happy that I saw this thread since I am also an eBay yarn addict and it so good to see that I am not alone......

Marjolein
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?