Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 knittable New Year resolutions?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  3:19:06 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I never keep my New Year's resolution, so I no longer make them. I will continue to make knitted/crocheted items for charity, but that's not a resolution. It's just what I do.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2075 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  4:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
S. Eliz., I'm glad you started this topic. I am a list maker & for me, they are a great help. This includes what I hope to do in the new year.
A couple of years ago our wonderful Bess wrote about something she does: she looks toward the new year & what she hopes to do - this includes all areas of her life. She also "reviews" the prior year & looks at what she hoped to have done. This has been something I have tried & it has been wonderful! (Thanks again, Miz Bess!) I look at my life in both personal & professional terms.
S. Eliz., thanks for giving me a new area: knitting!
At the Retreat Edie said that she does a challenging project every year so that she stretches herself. (Don't you love that? She's been knitting for years & years!) I hope to do lots of knitting w/gifts for close friends, for my DH & for me! I will take classes that will give me new skills. My stash will get a good work-out as I use it up!
Hope the year is great for you all!!
Martha
Go to Top of Page

BonnieBraids
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2003 :  04:48:38 AM  Show Profile Send BonnieBraids a Private Message
This year I have just 2 New Year Resolutions:

1. Knit at least one row every day... and
2. Commit one Random Act of Kindness each and every week!
That's it, let's hope I can stick to it.
Happy New Year everyone.
Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2003 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
For me New Year resolutions are goals for me to aim for, not rules I have to follow. If I don't keep one it's a slip, not a failure, and I just keep trying (if it's worthwhile). If not, I adjust my expectations. So my resolutions for this year are to 1.learn a new technique, 2. finish my WIPs (6 of them) by June and 3. continue to use up my stash. (That doesn't mean not buy yarn, just to not buy yarn without a specific project in mind. This will be very difficult at the MD S & W, but I'll give it a shot). Happy holidays everyone. Linda
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2003 :  11:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
i have resolve, before the new year begins, to finish off my UFO's! i have already finished off a pair of socks (for myself) and now how to finish a fair isle sweater for my granddaughter (i started it large, mid summer, just incase i got bored... but if i don't finish it soon, she will have outgrown it! and i have half the sleeves done on a wrap jacket for myself done on size 10.5 needles in lion brand homespun.. i have even started the finishing (sewn the shoulder seams) now i need to finish the sleeves and get the last seaming done.. then next year i'll be read to start fresh!

as for next year, no knitting resolutions.. except maybe keeping better track of when i start and finish projects-- i have learned to photograph them before i send them away--and to keep a scrap of yarn, a swatch of knitting, and the 'yarn bands'--but i need to be a bit more methodical about tracking projects.
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2003 :  3:36:00 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
finish christmas presents early! like...june!!! lol
finish my socks
not lose my darning needles...ive lost i dont know how many..i think the floor eats them...
try not to overwhelm myself with knitting or yarn..i sorta am right now, a lot of acrylic from my great grandma that passed away, some of its awesome, some is just sorta ok.
find somethin that will SELL...erg..i know i shouldnt get frustrated, and i just got a special order done..maybe more will follow
KNIT AS MUCH AS I CAN!!! lol

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!
Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  05:53:58 AM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
To remember that knitting is my hobby and something I do for my relaxation and enjoyment, so I try to keep stress and guilt out of my knitting (I have enough of it in my life, I won't let it invade my knitting!). I like my collection of yarn and patterns and I really like having a choice of project to work on when I sit down to knit.

I agree with the others--I prefer to think of them as goals to work towards rather than resolutions that have to be achieved. So at this time of year I alway remind myself of my goal to be around and active and healthy for my grandchildren and my retirement (I'm only 44), by getting regular excerise.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  2:23:19 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
"For me New Year resolutions are goals for me to aim for, not rules I have to follow. If I don't keep one it's a slip, not a failure, and I just keep trying (if it's worthwhile). If not, I adjust my expectations."

I like to look at my resolutions as goals too Linda. I want to aim toward trying to make improvments within myself.

As far as knitting goes, I'd like to tackle something Aran and stretch my knitting skills this year. I am going to donate some of my stash too and let someone else have the enjoyment of using this lovely yarn....no need to hoard it and assume I will eventually knit something with it.

Naturally, one of my long standing aims for the new year is to lose more weight (I've lost 18 pounds so far ) and as Dr. Phil says, to "get real" with exercising on a daily basis.

Happy New Year to all of you here on KR and may you be blessed with joy, love, health and happiness.

Hugs, Patience
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  2:39:52 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
My resolutions:

Take on bigger and more challenging knitting projects such as the Age of Aquarius Trio from Knitter's Stash.

Spread the joy by teaching a few friends to knit - possibly organizing a small, informal class.

Second that emotion to exercise daily. Our culture is clearly too sedentary and a passion for knitting sadly does not help me with this ongoing issue. My sister who recently lost 40 lbs or so gave me a DVD for Christmas, something about "walkercise," where you work out and it's the equivalent of walking two or three miles. I'll give that a whirl.

PattiG
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  3:43:08 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
ive thought of a few more, learning cables, everyones told me they really arent that hard, so im trying them once i get done with frigning this scarf im going to try them...isnt exactly the new year yet, but oh well

also i want to get up earlier and do some yoga everyday. i got a yoga deck and it has a different pose or breathing technique, its awesome, i feel all energized and stretched out.

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  4:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I'm with you Linda: Resolutions are goals, and in 2004 I'm going to do my best to:

1. Use more stash than buying new yarn.
2. Finish one throw for charity (I have four 8" squares finished from earlier this year so I have a ways to go!)
3. Finish my last 2 UFOs (mostly sewing up).
4. Knit 1 scarf and/or 1 pr. mittens or sox for charity each month.

Aim high, I say!

-- Marg in Calgary, Alberta

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  8:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
LOL! I've been writing about this very topic recently on my blog!

Here is some of what I had written there:

"Being that this tends to be a reflective time of year, I've been thinking about what things about my knitting habits I would like to change in the coming year. I've considered Grand ideas like not adding to my yarn stash (who am I kidding, I wouldn't last a week) or spinning all the fiber I have before buying any more (again, I must be dellusional! I already have several fleeces reserved for the spring shearing so that won't work). Then I decided that in 2004 I'd like to have some reasonable, more obtainable goals with maybe one tough one tossed in for a challenge. So far, and since it's not New Year's yet I am still working on the list, I have the following:

1. I will knit 1 pair of mittens and 1 hat, in any size and pattern and for no particular recipient each month of the year. They will be placed in the plastic tub where I store finished gift objects and be available for holiday/birthday and charity gifts.

2. I will knit a minimum of 2 adult sweaters during 2004. The one I started for DH does not count. The two sweaters will be 1 aran and 1 fair isle. One will be for myself and one will be for DH, he gets to choose which style he would prefer and then I'll give him a selection of 4-6 sweaters to choose from in that style. (If he chooses the Fair Isle I will likely do a Fern for myself, its at the bottom of the page)

3. To learn to knit and purl continental style. I don't expect to knit the sweaters this way yet, but by the end of the year I'd like to be able to complete a project or two without "throwing" the yarn."

Off to finish the rest of this year's gifts . . .

visit my blog @ http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  12:30:31 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
1. I will knit 1 pair of mittens and 1 hat, in any size and pattern and for no particular recipient each month of the year. They will be placed in the plastic tub where I store finished gift objects and be available for holiday/birthday and charity gifts.

I love this idea!!

PattiG
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  6:26:15 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
The only resolution I ever kept was the one to eat more chocolate. Idid very well on that one.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  7:08:00 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
Rosa I am with you! My plan is to organize my stash room so that it can also have the dual purpose that it was intended to when we moved into this house -- as a spare bedroom! I have been planning and replanning how to organize all my crafts (mainly my yarn and various and sundry knitting essentials) and books for a couple of months and I am really hoping for a good tax refund so that I can do it all (or at least most of it). Including, but not limited to, a new bed (with a 6 dresser drawer pedestal for storing lots of yarn and bookcase headboard an footboard for storing lots of books -- and not just knitting books).

Oh and I want to buy some sock yarn with a christmas gift certificate I got and make myself some groovy self patterning socks!

karen
Go to Top of Page

ClaireG
Seriously Hooked

602 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  12:05:59 PM  Show Profile Send ClaireG a Private Message
I don't make New Years Resolutions,but this year I am.
1. To finish some of my UFO(many)
2.Make my charity items (at least one a month,this includes the hats for the Indians and others)
3. Keep learning new ways of both Knitting and crochet.
4.Not a Knitting thing: drive
Claire
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  1:03:15 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I generally don't make new year's resolutions, either, but I was just thinking last night about a couple things I'd like to keep in mind this year...I think I will attempt to complete one UFO each month (yes, I have that many!) and I think I will attempt to empty out the contents of one of my yarn bins...there is yarn spilling all over my sewing room floor because the bins are all full. I am going to start a crocheted, double-strand afghan tomorrow, so that will go a long ways towards using up some of those acrylic scraps and left-overs! Notice there are no promises here about not buying more yarn, or not starting other projects besides already existing ones, or anything...I'm not going to set myself up for failure!
Lin
Go to Top of Page

Janice Alline
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  4:10:00 PM  Show Profile Send Janice Alline a Private Message
quote:
The only resolution I ever kept was the one to eat more chocolate. Idid very well on that one.
Anita

Anita, I like that one! OK, it's now at the TOP of my list. I think I need to go practice.

Jan
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
--Thomas Alva Edison

Go to Top of Page

Leanne
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
384 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  4:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Leanne's Homepage Send Leanne a Private Message
Mine are:
-recycle
-reduce
-re-use
-pass it on

http://www.oknitting.com
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  7:35:29 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Enjoy everything more - knitting, my DD, my DH, my DD (dog)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?