Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Suggest a poll
 what is your music to knit by?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  08:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Music is a thread woven in and out of my entire life. I am also an incurable hummer/singer/whistler. People are always saying, as I walk tunefully by, "My somebody is happy today". The joke is I am singing when I'm happy, angry, sad, frustrated, bored - pretty much all the time. Although I enjoy listening to most anything while knitting, I have a special knit-to-me bit of music on a CD by Paul Hillier, called Proenza. It's music of the troubedors and trouvairs in Hillier's version of the ancient langue d'oc, the language of Provence in the middle ages. They are all plaintive love songs. I have no idea why it makes me want to sit down and knit but it does.

So - what music gets those knitting urges flowing for you?

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  09:46:23 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Anything by Ralph Vaughn Williams, Joaquin Rodrigo (especially when played by Los Romeros), Barber's Adagio for Strings, and Preisner's Requiem for my friend. Bess, you led me astray! I had to go to Amazon and check out that Proenza by Paul Hillier...they didn't seem to have it, but there was one of French Troubadour songs, so I bought it...and a Vaughn Williams, and a couple others. Uh-oh. Had to change the shipping address to work so Tony doesn't blow a gasket. I'll just hide them here for a few weeks, then take them home and say "Oh, these?? I've had these a while...I just took them to work to listen to!" Bad, bad Chris!

There definitely is some music more conducive to knitting...just as some TV shows are NOT conducive to knitting...the ones you actually have to watch. Sigh.

crhis (popping in the Preisner right now!)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  10:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Ahh just you wait till you start buying Baltimore Consort discs!! Tunes from the attic - The Daemon Lover - or Watkins Ale. They are my favorite of all the early music groups. And for gardening - Jakob Lindburg's Lute music from Scotland and France.

good listening and good knitting

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  12:06:46 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Bess, you and I certainly have very similar tastes in music!! I love Watkins Ale!! My favorite Christmas albums are my Renaissance and Medival ones! And I love the Baltimore Consort and the Boston Camerata! Anonymous 4! Owain Phyfe (I think that's his name..but who cares with a voice like that!!) I can hardly wait to get home and pull out the disks and start knitting!

chris (I've got two stars!!!!!!!!!)

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  12:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
OH my! a musical twin! Nigel North did a recording called Three, Four and Twenty Lutes that got me hooked on the renaisance lute music. I got mine in a Musical Heritage shipment but since then I went after a good bit more of the stuff. Even tried to play one but I could tell right away that I'd need a teacher and I can't drive the 100 miles on any regular basis, to learn one. The disc is for sale on Amazon though .....

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  3:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Chris Isaak and Ty Herndon are two perenial favorites (the rule at the radio station that I've trained my listeners to is that I don't answer the phone when they're playing) and anything Broadway. Pirates of Penzance is a favorite to knit to, as is La Boheme(or anything Puccini, really) The I Am Sam soundtrack is excellent for knitting - all Beatles songs done by current artists (but good jobs, not bad take offs) with a very soothing feel to the whole disk. Diana Krall, and lots of that classic jazz stuff - Ella, Billie, Louis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughn...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  10:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I find that it depends on my mood. I listen to talk radio quite alot but that can lead to very tight stitches

I am a good Motown girl, give me something with some rhythm and I am gone! I love to knit and sing (while alone, I don't like to infict that on others). Journey, Bob Seger, Bare Naked Ladies, Bruce Springsteen... anything from the 80's... ok - almost anything. I will listen to just about anything but CHRISTMAS MUSIC! Gads, I hate CHRISTMAS MUSIC! I have worked retail too darned long. That Muzak has just killed the season for me. I figure once you have hear Ms. Piggy sing the Twelve days of Christmas you have heard it all and why bother? All of my favorite stations went to all christmas music all the time between Thanksgiving and New Year's... I went to CD's!

"Knitting with only one needle... I'm going slightly mad"

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  1:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
LOL! Alissa, I left a career in retail for a career in radio - songs "Dominick the Christmas Donkey," "Grandma Got Runover by A Reindeer" and "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" make my ears bleed! And I get to have people BEG me to play them again!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  1:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Oh. How sad. How sad. How sad.

Dec. 1 the christmas music comes out and that is all that's allowed to be played in my house. I will admit, we have 40 christmas discs and only one has the chipmunks on it and we programmed out I want a hipopotamus. MY favorite is the one by the Chieftans, Bells of Dublin but a close second is Bright Star, New Day by Custer LaRue. And we have one horrible one from Britain that is ... it sounds like something from the officer's club of 1970. You know, those drum sets with the brushes? But that is a joke album. And then there's the magnificat and the messiah and corelli's christmas concerto - decidedly classical and older stuff, so not likely to be overplayed.

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  4:11:32 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I LOVE The Bells of Dublin, though I must admit I skip over O Holy Night....that one makes MY ears bleed. I cannot abide her voice...sounds like she has a lollipop stuck in her throat. All that aside, I like anything by the Chieftains, especially The Long Black Veil. Celtic music is good to knit to, also.

We have around 70 Christmas albums...mostly from the era of when I was a child...Perry Como, Tony Bennett, compilations like Billboard's greatest Christmas hits (you gotta love Eartha Kitt singing Santa Baby!). One of my all time favorite Christmas albums is Last Month of the Year, by the Kingston Trio. It was one of my Dad's favorites -- he always put it on right after dinner on Thanksgiving. His old vinyl album had a skip on it and when that song plays on my CD, I keep waiting for the skip! And Harry Belafonte's To Wish You a Merry Christmas is another favorite. Great music!

What a great thread this is!! Thanks, Bess!

chris

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  5:16:41 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Bess,

When I knit I usually listen to a relaxing CD such as Bach by the Sea, or piano music that is very soft and lovely. I like Mozart as well, but sometimes it's a little too much depending on which one I decide to play. I like the atmosphere to be very low key and ultra relaxing.....the better to knit with, my dear.

Regards, Patience

Kindly forgive the script here, but I think it was a computer glitch....I didn't pick this one, for heaven sakes!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  12:54:45 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
My music is whatever the teens in the house are listening to....LOL There are three of them here--12 year old boy, and girls 13 and 14. My daughter has foster children in addition to caring for me, her son, and the grandaughter who has me for her guardian. When they are not here, I allow my ears to rest. You should hear it when different music is coming from three different corners of the house.

Fran

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?