Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Organized
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cinder
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  7:21:15 PM  Show Profile Send cinder a Private Message
I feelo so lucky my daughter just orgainized all my knitting patterns that I have found our bought into individual binders all labeled and ready to go. Now all I have to do is check which binder has a scarf or afaghan or miscel. patterns and I will be ready to go. No more dropping patterns on the floor or having to go through every page to find what I need. She also lined up my new books with the binders so everything is in one place. Now all I have to do is wait until all this snow in Vancouver, Washington melts a little and between storms try and make it to buy some containers for my yarn stash and I will be ready for the new year. Freezing rain is forcated for tuesday after more snow. Hope I make it, if I don't, I did go to the yarn store yesterday and bought new yarn and I still have the Knit Stictch or Purl stitch to read.

Merrie Jane

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  7:41:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
Congrats on getting all organized! Did you include pictures of FO and yarn samples or just the actual patterns? I'm considering doing the same thing with my collection and haven't decided.
Christina P.
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  8:11:27 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Merrie Jane: Does your daughter hire out for this? Boy could I use help. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

cinder
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  08:23:48 AM  Show Profile Send cinder a Private Message
I just have my patterns and sample card. She also put my magazines in a binder. It is so nice to have everything at hand and not wonder where I put a pttern or a magazine.

Merrie Jane
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  08:31:21 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Merrie Jane,

Don't know what kind of containers you are looking for, but I believe that Fred Meyer's container sale lasts through at least today, possibly tomorrow. I think that many of their rubbermaid items are on sale "buy one, get one free".

Kristi
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  08:42:54 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
I went through most of my yarn stash on New Year's Eve and re-organized it. I think the cats managed to get into some of it, because one bag was quite a mess.

I am also trying to organize my patterns into binders but i need to buy more, oh, heck, what are they called? The plastic sleeves that hold the patterns.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  08:54:54 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Page Protectors?
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  3:59:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
Reading your posts encouraged me to tackle my stash. I went and bought plastic containers and went to town. I spent a few hours sorting yarn into various catagories and labeling bins. I feel so organized now. It sure saves me a lot of time when looking for a certain yarn. I should have done this much sooner.. and it's so fun to go into my closet and see the walls lined with neatly labeled clear bins full of yarn!!
Go to Top of Page

cinder
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  12:10:52 AM  Show Profile Send cinder a Private Message
Yes I hit Fred Meyers yesterday and thought I had a big enough one but today when I put it all away today I found I still have two sacks that need to be put away. All my patterns are in page protectors, wheich is really nice. I can just pull it out of the binder and put in my bag without it getting wrinkled.

Merrie Jane
Go to Top of Page

LizzyDee
Chatty Knitter

243 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  3:25:43 PM  Show Profile Send LizzyDee a Private Message
I need to organize my yarn as well. My husband is beginning to notice all of the tote bags and baskets lying around full of yarn and UFO's.
Many people here talk about having their yarn in plastic storage bins. Does it hurt it to store it in the open air, like shelves or cubbies? I have a lot hanging in a plastic shoe organizer (an idea I got on this forum!) but I am outgrowing that and thinking I need something more decorative.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  3:40:36 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
Lizzydee,
I have mine lying around in the open (organized is not a word in my vocabulary!) either in bags or baskets and it hasn't hurt it; just check it every so often for moths, they will eat the wool as they do clothes.
Merrie Jane,
Can your daughter come to Australia?!

Happy Knitting,
Tam
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  6:17:43 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
No I'm confused as I've heard it is better to keep it out in the open as opposed to airtight. Which is correct? For my soon to be crafts room, I was thinking of getting some Closetmaid cubbies that I think are meant for shoes - little tiny grid shape shelves, that I could stuff the yarn into and have it kind of on display. Anyone know for sure which is right? Should it be exposed to air, or airtight?
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  7:49:37 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If you will be going through your natural fibres fairly quickly it's okay to keep them in plastic. But they do need to breathe if stored for a long time. Acrylic can be kept in containers. I use a dresser to store my yarn, so it's safe from dust but still breathes.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

cinder
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  9:27:02 PM  Show Profile Send cinder a Private Message
Tam my daughter would love to come to Austrailia of course so would I. Especially now with our bitter cold we are having right now.

Merrie Jane
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  11:12:49 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
Merrie Jane,
Anytime you are in Melbourne let me know.

Happy Knitting,
Tam
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  8:03:28 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
Page protecters! Duh!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by